Way Back Machine

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
jimbauwens

Jan 13, 2011
9:12 AM EDT
I guess all of you hear of the Internet Archive. Its a project for saving the web history, it takes frequent backups of websites and puts it in a database for people to access. Todat I found that they have a easy tool to visit websites in the state that they were many years ago : http://waybackmachine.org/.

I visited sites like lxer.com, apple.com, ticalc.org and some others, and it gave my a weird feeling, going back in time. Sites like apple go all the way back to '96. Really nice to see! I recommend it :-)
dinotrac

Jan 13, 2011
12:42 PM EDT
Way too cool. Not only did they have a snap of Linux Today from my birthday in 2001 (Jan 7 for anybody who cares), they had one of my artcles in the feb 2, 2001 snap.

Ah, the good old days.
jimbauwens

Jan 13, 2011
12:47 PM EDT
@Dino, a little late, but Happy Birthday!
bigg

Jan 13, 2011
12:51 PM EDT
> but Happy Birthday

Not at his age.
jimbauwens

Jan 13, 2011
12:53 PM EDT
I don't know his age, but I think you can congratulate someone at any age.
dinotrac

Jan 13, 2011
1:13 PM EDT
@jim --

And right you are.

FWIW -- I'm 58 and, after years of being old, am getting younger every year.
hkwint

Jan 13, 2011
2:57 PM EDT
Yeah, Dino doesn't need the WayBack machine, knowing the content every webpage that was online in 1995 by heart!

Oh, those fond memories, tracing back my earliest internet experience somewhere in 1997...
bigg

Jan 13, 2011
3:13 PM EDT
1997? I was on in 1993, probably using gopher.

@jim: I wasn't serious in my comment.
jimbauwens

Jan 13, 2011
3:40 PM EDT
@bigg: I know, but still wanted to reply on it ;-) I had my first internet experience around 2004, allot later than most of you. Although my father was the first one in my city that had internet.
jdixon

Jan 13, 2011
5:56 PM EDT
I was on in 1993, probably using gopher....

Hmm. Delphi started offering Internet accesses (newsgroups, telnet, and Internet email) around 1991, from memory. I think I downloaded Mosaic in 1993 or so, and tried it out on my work computer.

In 1994, I installed Slackware on my 386SX computer along side Windows (3.1, I believe) using the UMSDOS filesystem, and there was no looking back.
theboomboomcars

Jan 13, 2011
6:21 PM EDT
Quoting:I'm 58 and, after years of being old, am getting younger every year.
Your not old yet, according to a source I trust, my grandma, you are not old until you reach 100. So you're barely past halfway to being old.
dinotrac

Jan 13, 2011
6:31 PM EDT
@boomboom :

I hope you're right.

My grandma on one side, made it to within 2 months of 100 and never dyed her hair -- just a few whisps of gray at the temples.

On my father's side, however, the men only made it to 80 or so. However, they are an ornery deep-south clan, bred in lard (I've gott admit, it makes for the flakiest pie crusts and biscuits to die for), cigarettes, and whiskey.

So, there may be a little time for me yet...if rails doesn't kill me first.

You cannot post until you login.