LO here i come!

Story: First LibreOffice Stable Release Nears: What Now?Total Replies: 5
Author Content
viator

Jan 19, 2011
7:15 AM EDT
I have been using the release candidate on one of my boxes its very nice. As soon as the stable is released i will be deploying it far and wide on friends and familys computers.
tracyanne

Jan 19, 2011
7:29 AM EDT
As indeed have I and also will.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 19, 2011
1:11 PM EDT
I've just gone back to OO after many months in Abiword/Gnumeric ... OO isn't as slow to start up as previously advertised, at least the version in Debian Squeeze and on my newish hardware. I've actually been using it more and Google Docs less.
dinotrac

Jan 19, 2011
1:22 PM EDT
Steve -- OO is not so bad these days. FO that mattter, it's been tolerable ( in terms of startup time) for a long time if you would just set swappiness to a low level.

On my wife's Debian Mint work station, which includes the 4-line script alternative to the 200 line "miracle patch", things fairly pop up.

Desktop Linux may finally become the pleasant place we always knew it could be.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 19, 2011
1:52 PM EDT
I haven't looked into the magic script yet. 64-bit Debian is snappy enough, even with ancient ext3 filesystems.
jezuch

Jan 20, 2011
3:34 AM EDT
Quoting:OO isn't as slow to start up as previously advertised

The best one can do to improve that is to get an SSD as OOo/LO startup is extremely seeky. I speak from experience :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!