Intel will make what they can sell

Story: Microsoft pushing for 16-core Atom CPUs: something to do with Linux?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
caitlyn

Jan 28, 2011
5:42 PM EDT
Intel will make what they can sell, not necessarily what Microsoft wants them to make. Of course, if Intel thinks they can make money on a 16-core Atom processor they will make it.

Microsoft has been playing catch up in server space for more than a decade. They have never had a majority share in the server room and never will. Their OS just doesn't scale well, either up or down, does not have the stability of *nix, and it still is not well trusted when security is seen as important.
tqk

Jan 28, 2011
11:02 PM EDT
Quoting:They have never had a majority share in the server room and never will. Their OS just doesn't scale well, either up or down, does not have the stability of *nix, and it still is not well trusted when security is seen as important.
Come to Canada. Almost every client I've worked for for the past decade is fully committed to going full Win*. They consider their *nix data tractors an albatross that they can't wait to eliminate, despite the fact that none of them have been able to.

The board has been sold on the idea. The vendors have made their case. *nix (proprietary?) doesn't measure up. You don't like it? You're not our sort of material.

I long to be anywhere other than here.
skelband

Jan 29, 2011
2:09 AM EDT
@tqk - We must work in different circles.

Certainly in BC a lot of large commercial organisations are embracing Linux for their servering needs. I work for a software house here and we are converting almost entirely to Linux for everything and some of our customers are making encouraging noises in that direction also.

I get the feeling that there are bubbles of change here and there. You will always get the die-hard MS shops. For them, they are so committed to the MS ecosystem that they would find it difficult to change and I can see their point.

On the other hand, we see that Linux is making big in-roads by stealth. How many people with Android phones realise that they are running what amounts to Linux? How many routers, media devices, PVRs etc.. we've heard this story many times.
caitlyn

Jan 29, 2011
1:06 PM EDT
Sales figures for Linux on servers have never exceeded 45% of the market and, according to most of the firms that count such things, it's at 42% give or take one or two points as of 2010. In 2000 it was also 42%. @tqk: A lot of people take their anecdotal experience with a limited number of companies and project that onto the market as a whole. What is true for the companies you have been exposed to is not true everywhere. Considering I've had two Canadian companies try to headhunt me in the last year I know there is demand for Linux skills north or the border.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!