Hmm, a recipe for failure?

Story: Nokia-Microsoft: Will they succeed or continue to limp along in smartphones?Total Replies: 15
Author Content
herzeleid

Feb 11, 2011
8:39 PM EDT
Is anyone actually thinking a mashup of 2 failures will somehow lead to success?

Edit: I will personally begin avoiding any new nokia devices like the plague in light of their new direction, and as far as I have any influence with anyone else I will also encourage them to do the same.

tuxchick

Feb 11, 2011
9:00 PM EDT
Ha, good one herzeleid. In one sentence you summarized thousands of words of windy punditry :)
herzeleid

Feb 11, 2011
9:27 PM EDT
@tc -

I just read on FB that half the nokia workforce walked out in protest over this deal. Something is rotten in denmark.... er finland...

hkwint

Feb 12, 2011
8:39 AM EDT
That's not all, don't forget Nokia was 'mashing up' with Intel; which means now there's a mashup of 3 failures.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 12, 2011
8:53 AM EDT
I recall the sage advice from "Deteriorata"

Two Wrongs do not make a Right.

...but three do.
hkwint

Feb 12, 2011
11:59 AM EDT

Nice graph of three companies

(Light blue NASDAQ, orange Intel Corp, yellow Microsoft, dark blue Nokia)

which lost direction.And if there's any direction, it's surely "down"!

Think it was a good idea of Mr. Elop to do the announcement on Friday, because if it was on Monday, NOK would have fallen even further!
jhansonxi

Feb 12, 2011
7:17 PM EDT
In the words of their CEO, Nokia needed something to deal with their burning oil platform of a product line. Attaching it to a big sinking ship is one way to put the fire out.
tracyanne

Feb 12, 2011
7:19 PM EDT
I hope you are right.
jhansonxi

Feb 12, 2011
7:22 PM EDT
Strategically, this could greatly help Android and Linux. I've seen a lot of news and job postings that seem to indicate a shortage of developers in those areas. Looks like Nokia is about to free up a bunch.
cr

Feb 12, 2011
9:17 PM EDT
IMO Somebody should stick a fork in Qt, otherwise it's done for. As for Nokia... it's Finnished. Partnering with Microsoft is a snake and a mouse sitting down to dinner; if the mouse isn't late to dinner it'll be late afterwards.
jdixon

Feb 13, 2011
12:03 AM EDT
> IMO Somebody should stick a fork in Qt, otherwise it's done for.

Which raises the interesting question of how this affects KDE.
TxtEdMacs

Feb 13, 2011
8:16 AM EDT
> Which raises the interesting question[s] ... affects KDE.

And Webkit browsers, which includes Apple's Safari [if I am not mistaken, recently Chrome.] Moreover, lots of other applications use QT as their major development tool.

Therefore, I strongly suggest this tool be put into reliable hands where there is no further fear, uncertainties and doubt were it to go astray. Thus, it should be bought forthwith by Oracle where there can be no doubt of that entities intentions.

YBT
Bob_Robertson

Feb 13, 2011
9:19 AM EDT
Txt! Haven't seen you in what seems like ages!
hkwint

Feb 13, 2011
3:05 PM EDT
Yeah, I think QT should move to the Linux foundation, and maybe "join" the MeeGo project. That would be best for QT.

If it happens is something else though...
bigg

Feb 13, 2011
9:30 PM EDT
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/13/nokia-microsoft-new...

Best line I've heard in a while: "He said the decision to go with Windows Phone was unanimous in Nokia's senior management team." You don't say, what a shock, the CEO says something and the entire management team agrees. Shocking, shocking, shocking.

Microsoft can pay billions to put their software on these phones. That doesn't mean it will help them, except to the extent that they can avoid irrelevance for a little longer.

hkwint

Feb 14, 2011
4:24 PM EDT
News today: Microsoft did pay billions to make Nokia reject MeeGo, Qt and Symbian and go 'all the way' with WP7, .NET, SilverLight and what else MS-kiddies are scripting with today.

Nokia stock plunged again, but only 5% it seems.

I think Nokia is the all-or-nothing bet GoldmanSachs was hoping for, when they criticized MS in some report some months ago.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!