Ubuntu does the 'ol music-store switcheroo on Banshee

Story: Banshee Amazon Store disabled in Ubuntu 11.04 by CanonicalTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 17, 2011
2:00 AM EDT
Zonker has it exactly right on this one.

My take: Ubuntu should give Ubuntu One and Amazon equal weight in their build of Banshee. Let the users have the information they need to decide where they buy their music and who gets the rev. share.
tmx

Feb 17, 2011
3:07 AM EDT
I think it should at least be 50/50, but I agree with one of the article's comment. Whether its Debian 6 or the new Ubuntu, first thing I'm going to do is purge Mono and Banshee goes with it.
helios

Feb 17, 2011
10:33 AM EDT
I have a core of maybe 250 songs I listen to...hopelessly lost in the 60's, 70's and 80's. the last "new" band I listened to or bought music from was Nickleback. I'm not an online music consumer so this feature isn't important to me at all, and even if it was, I find annoying bugs and "features" in both rythmbox and Banshee.

I much more prefer Clementine.

I would purge my system of Banshee just because won't take the time to switch default players and I'm not a big fan of Mono, for all the obvious and some less obscure reasons.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 17, 2011
12:56 PM EDT
Whether or not you like Mono, there's no Mono in the Debian Squeeze default installation. No PulseAudio, either.
GaryBaxter

Feb 17, 2011
4:43 PM EDT
Only those that wear tinfoil hats dislike mono.
jimbauwens

Feb 17, 2011
5:05 PM EDT
GaryBaxter wrote:Only those that wear tinfoil hats dislike mono.
I want to wear a tinfoil hat, and I don't dislike mono ;-)
herzeleid

Feb 17, 2011
5:21 PM EDT
Quoting:Only those that wear tinfoil hats dislike mono.

What tinfoil hat? I don't like mono because all the mono programs I've seen are resource hogs. Plus there's something weird about "PROGRAM.EXE" running on a *nix box.

tracyanne

Feb 17, 2011
6:10 PM EDT
Not a WINE user either
gus3

Feb 17, 2011
7:18 PM EDT
@GaryBaxter: No GPL for WP7 app store

Quoting:“Excluded License” means any license requiring, as a condition of use, modification and/or distribution of the software subject to the license, that the software or other software combined and/or distributed with it be (i) disclosed or distributed in source code form; (ii) licensed for the purpose of making derivative works; or (iii) redistributable at no charge. Excluded Licenses include, but are not limited to the GPLv3 Licenses. For the purpose of this definition, “GPLv3 Licenses” means the GNU General Public License version 3, the GNU Affero General Public License version 3, the GNU Lesser General Public License version 3, and any equivalents to the foregoing.
Mono is a disease. If you want to be promiscuous, fine. Don't infect me with it, and don't be surprised when others keep their distance from you.
tracyanne

Feb 17, 2011
7:30 PM EDT
gus, what does the exclusion of GPLed software from the WP7 app store have to do with Mono, other than the fact that Microsoft exclude Mono and GPLed applications built using Mono.

I can't make the connection to how the article you've linked to demonstrates that Mono is a disease. Please explain.
gus3

Feb 17, 2011
7:53 PM EDT
Microsoft tries to pass itself off as waxing "open-source-friendly" using various tactics, including their attempt to get traction for Mono among FOSS users. How many months ago was it, that the I.T. press was bombarded with stories about how much Linux is installed behind closed doors at Redmond?

Whoop-dee-doo. *twirls finger in air*

GaryBaxter's claim that Mono haters all wear tin-foil hats (i.e. are phobic of Microsoft) is easily disproven with a story from today about Microsoft's animus towards FOSS. If he wants to tie himself to the Redmond beast, yeah, whatever, but there'll be no sympathy from this direction when reality comes back to bite him on the posterior.
jdixon

Feb 17, 2011
9:12 PM EDT
> I can't make the connection to how the article you've linked to demonstrates that Mono is a disease.

TA, Mono=mononucleosis: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001617

Thus, gus3 is literally correct. Mono is a disease. Mono (TM) may or may not be the software equivalent. There's plenty of room for debate on the matter.
tracyanne

Feb 17, 2011
9:16 PM EDT
I still fail to see how that makes Mono a disease. You've presented no evidence that Mcosoft is attempting to gain traction for Mono... merely stating it to be so, unfortunately, does not make it so.

Given Microsoft's obvious animus to FOSS, and by extension their obvious animus to Mono, as you have demonstrated - from the link you posted, I think it's reasonable to assume they don't want Mono to succeed.
tmx

Feb 18, 2011
12:22 PM EDT
Quoting:Whether or not you like Mono, there's no Mono in the Debian Squeeze default installation.
When downloaded and install the Debian 6 DVD iso, it definitely has mono packages and I could not uninstall them without breaking many essentials packages that has to reinstall for the desktop to be usable again including gnome-session if I remembered correctly. I didn't try the CD version though.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 18, 2011
3:42 PM EDT
@tmx, I checked this, and you are right (which makes me wrong). There is Mono in the Debian Squeeze default GNOME install. I'm not sure which Mono apps ship with Debian Squeeze's default except for Tomboy.

I even commented about Tomboy's inclusion in Squeeze in an entry about it in October 2010:

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2010/10/kicking-the-tires-o...

I would've kept it - I have nothing against mono per se - but I couldn't copy/paste from Tomboy into web forms, which is pretty much what I'd need it for. I brought in Gnote, which is written in C++ and is a Tomboy workalike. It does copy/paste the way I need, but I really haven't had any use for it because I write notes as Tasks in Thunderbird/Icedove or as tasks or memos in Evolution.

So there is Mono in the Debian Squeeze desktop default. I stand corrected.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 19, 2011
8:18 PM EDT
Quoting:I could not uninstall them without breaking many essentials packages that has to reinstall for the desktop to be usable again including gnome-session if I remembered correctly.

You can remove them without breaking the rest. You should be able to remove Tomboy without removing the rest of gnome, then take out Mono separately. Alternatively, temporarily change your package manager preferences so that it does not require or install packages marked as "recommended".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!