OMG Ubuntu!

Story: Ubuntu is Now the 4th Most Popular Linux Distribution on Web ServersTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
djohnston

Feb 25, 2011
3:26 AM EDT
Quoting:Ubuntu probably is the first ever Linux distro to overshoot popularity of Linux itself.

[rant]

The part cannot be greater than its whole. (Well, maybe in an alternate universe where spacetime is running in reverse. Any astrophysicists reading this?) Regardless of the Google trends chart data, Ubuntu is a subset of Linux. What the author is trying to say is that the public's perception of Ubuntu is more popular than the perception of Linux. Okay, it's just semantics, I know. But, still, it's like saying German Shepherds are more popular than dogs.

OMG Ubuntu! It has gorgeous wallpapers and beautiful icons and awesome fonts.

[/rant]

Valium, please.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 25, 2011
3:29 AM EDT
I agree. The Grand Canyon may be the 'grandest' of them all..but its still a canyon. Not the best logic I know, but logic is not my forte..;-)
JaseP

Feb 25, 2011
9:52 AM EDT
I'm not disagreeing with you, but...

The "science" of public opinion polls is anything but science. Depending on the way the polls were run it may very well be possible for Ubuntu to have had a higher approval and/or recognition level than "Linux." Illogical? Yes, it is. But polls, like the people they query are not (usually) logical.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 25, 2011
11:42 AM EDT
On polls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gMcZic1d4U

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!