Get a grip

Story: Thinking About WritingTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
montezuma

Mar 12, 2011
10:35 AM EDT
If your linux boxes are working great don't get bored, put out your ciggie and go outside and enjoy the Appalachian Spring. Remember your mortality and stop obsessing.
tuxchick

Mar 12, 2011
12:17 PM EDT
No kidding! Writing inspiration is fueled by doing things, so when you get stale go do something different. I never run out of ideas; I need five lifetimes to do everything I want to do, and to write about it.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 12, 2011
3:10 PM EDT
I had writer's block until I was 24, when I saw an idiot and go so angry I wrote a 5 page letter outlining exactly what this idiot was and why it really was all his fault.

Never sent the letter, but I've been able to write ever since.

And yes, go outside. It's gorgeous, dahling!
tracyanne

Mar 12, 2011
6:41 PM EDT
I'd suggest you give up smoking first.
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 12, 2011
9:21 PM EDT
You just put one finger in front of the other.
hkwint

Mar 13, 2011
6:07 AM EDT
I'd say: Get Gentoo, don't update for six months, don't read the documentation and then try to update to QT4.7 / KDE 4.6!

Oh boy, what a ride, Gentoo had a 'compilers block', and portage had lots of 'blocking dependencies' (as I didn't download the right files). Windowmaker wouldn't start because it couldn't find libX11.la or something. It's dependency libXft wouldn't compile because of an unknown reason. It's dependency glib wouldn't compile because of a documentation problem. Which meant it fully compiled and was able to install except for the docs. How stupid! And all QT-packages had an infight because I had been on KDE 4.5 svn (newest).

So there I was in console, perl was broken too (caused by an update) and I didn't read about the fixer, so lots of package-utils didn't work, and the browser 'links' didn't work either, and als vi didn't work. Enough to write about! Two days without graphical browser, meaning no facebook or e-mail (kontact!) for me.

I downloaded Arch Linux and almost installed it as second OS - because I think Gentoo wouldn't survive.

But then I uninstalled anything KDE I could find, uninstalled large parts of QT, fired up nano, downloaded some portage configuration files for KDE 4.6, ran "lafilefixer", disabled documentation support for gnome stuff, re-compiled part of the system files (until next error), ran some perl-updater, did some reverse dependencies-rebuilding, and suddenly I was back!

So yeah, that would be my advice.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 13, 2011
8:57 PM EDT
Speaking of compiler's block, the latest mainline kernels are refusing to compile for me. Even one that worked just fine with gcc 4.4 now won't compile under 4.5.

Ah, the joys of Debian Sid.
hkwint

Mar 15, 2011
5:38 PM EDT
Send me your .config and I'll upload the compiled result!
Bob_Robertson

Mar 15, 2011
7:49 PM EDT
Naa, it's not that important. The Sid packaged kernel is 2.6.37, which is just fine. I was having fun trying the -rc kernels while waiting for Squeeze to ship.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!