Iconoclast method?

Story: I Have Installed Ubuntu…What’s Next? Total Replies: 5
Author Content
r_a_trip

Mar 18, 2011
8:55 AM EDT
Is it me, or is the order of working completely the wrong way around? First destroy your current working environment and then see if the new environment is a fitting replacement... I'd say that is a recipe for disaster.

Shouldn't it be that you first evaluate if the current OS in use is fitting within the expectations you have about what an OS should do for you? After the current OS fails that litmus test, then you should start to prospect alternatives to what is currently used.

After you are more familiar with the pro's and cons of the prospective replacement, then you can always opt to give it a trial. I'd also advise anyone starting out with researching alternatives to go for a dual boot or a virtual machine setup. It's never prudent to burn all your ships before you have a suitable replacement.
montezuma

Mar 18, 2011
9:44 AM EDT
When I was a regular on the Ubuntu fora 2-3 years ago there were a large number of threads by newbies complaining bitterly about Ubuntu and vowing to reinstall windows. It never ceases to amaze me how people jump into things with no research or preparation and do nothing to protect themselves. This was partially Ubuntu's fault for overhyping its user friendliness and partially the fault of the windows mentality that expects things to be handed to them on a plate. Constantly long term users would retort that linux was free so required some effort but the newbies kept coming like lemmings over the proverbial cliff.
hkwint

Mar 19, 2011
2:07 PM EDT
Which is sad, because in my opinion it takes quite a few dual boots and 'migrating' software (looking for Linux-alternatives) before most Windows-users will be ready to migrate.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 20, 2011
11:36 AM EDT
Well heck, just trying to figure out what the names of equivalent applications is a pain in the tushie!

I'm glad that I have been using Linux as long as I have, it makes it easier to FIND THINGS that I know are there but don't know what they're called.
hkwint

Mar 21, 2011
4:32 AM EDT
Interesting to note: After about eight years of using Linux, I have to work on Win7 now, and I find myself asking:

-Why am I not capable of making nested lists in Word2007, where have all the commands gone in this 'ribbon interface', and why does half of my text disappear when trying to change margins?

After giving up on Word and trying in HTML: -How do I install a HTML editor? And what's the name?

-Where's AWK/SED? And once they're installed: -Where's the file where my "PATH" is exported; I mean: Where's my .profile and .bashrc? (There is no file, there's only regedit or clicking through 20 Windows)

-Why don't I have virtual desktops, because whenever I want to change a setting I have to click through 20 windows before I can get anything done, but the other 19 won't go away until I finished no. 20.

-How do I install Python modules when there's no 'emerge' command? How can I compile modules? (Almost impossible on Windows without Admin-rights!)

-Why doesn't Windows support 'select/middleclick-paste' like GPM does?

-How do I use SSH/SCP?

-Where's MC / Krusader? How to make Windows Explorer mimick a two pane file explorer?

-Where are the files I just downloaded?

And most annoying in Windows7: -How do I log off without shutting down? Even if one knows, if you click 3mm too much to the left (which I do a lot) it shuts down.
jdixon

Mar 21, 2011
10:13 AM EDT
Hans, I assume those are rhetorical questions?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!