Trinity and the distros

Story: Holding on to KDE 3.5.x and Gnome 2.x in 2011Total Replies: 2
Author Content
Ridcully

Mar 21, 2011
9:24 AM EDT
While I run KDE4.4 in "KDE3.5 mode" on openSUSE11.3 and find it highly satisfactory, I cannot help feeling I would very much like to have a really good look at Trinity KDE and see if the well remembered KDE characteristics of simplicity and speed are still there. After all, it is those characteristics that I am chasing when I put KDE4x into "KDE3.5 mode".

I am on the Trinity mailing lists and the constant flurry of activity by developers and testers on that software has to be seen to be believed. Normal days see 20-30 emails dealing with bugs, updates, success, reports, information, etc. etc. Sooner or later I hope to see a distribution that includes Trinity KDE as one of its standard DE choices. When that happens, I believe that Trinity KDE is going to be well worth a serious look and it could even displace KDE4x as my preferred DE. "Cautious optimism" seems the apt phrase.
nikkels

Mar 21, 2011
9:36 PM EDT
Ridcully I have been running Trinity (kubuntu) for about a few weeks on a rather old machine (1.6Ghz and 750Mb mem ). I was either 'pleasantly surprised' or ' lightly shocked' at how well and fast it ran on this piece of antic. To be fair, I have to say I only did email, browsing, a movie or 2, some music and played with various programs. I have not done" number crunching".

If you are interested in KDE3.x.x, there is Kademar4.9.5 and Pardus Karumsal. Both are great on my hardware. Just their forums are a little pain in the... but then, with KDE3, who needs the forum :-)
Ridcully

Mar 21, 2011
11:24 PM EDT
@nikkels.......Many thanks.......I'm not a really good player in hacking software, but I can deal with rpms and I mention this because it is how Trinity KDE seems to be currently supplied. You may be interested in this site:

http://www.trinitydesktop.org/

The information I particularly like is this: "The Trinity Development Team is currently working on packages for RPM based systems such as OpenSUSE, RedHat, and Fedora."

Since I run openSUSE, that particular future rpm package is the one I want simply because if there is a problem, I have a far better chance of knowing what to do. But Trinity KDE really is looking good from all other reports I have seen. Like I said, I think it may not be too far off where Trinity KDE is offered as a desktop option in a major distro. KDE4 for the special effects group who want the various KDE4 plasmoids and desktops and Trinity KDE for those who want a simple and highspeed KDE environment.

[PS...Before I get jumped on, I am not attacking KDE4's current speed......I find it quite adequate for my current tasks, but "nikkels" comments above on how well and fast Trinity KDE runs, indicates that the Trinity package might already be superior in speed to KDE4......Have to wait and see, won't I ?]

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!