Thankfully GNOME 3 isn't GNOME Shell

Story: Gnome 3 - This is the end, it seems Total Replies: 7
Author Content
tracyanne

Mar 25, 2011
10:00 AM EDT
In spite of the impression given by every blogger searching for page views.

Otherwise the Linux Mint folks would not be able to release a GNOME 3 desktop that looks and functions like the familiar GNOME 2 desktop, and doesn't use GNOME Shell.
klhrevolution

Mar 25, 2011
1:10 PM EDT
Agreed, but since I'm not familiar with this blogger (writer of the article) it would seem a regular end-user or power-user as they refer to themselves as or hint at cannot change gnome3 to behave like gnome2. So while mint might be able to do this it would appear end user's cannot and therein lies the problem.

I keep wanting to give gnome3 the benefit of the doubt but it's becoming clear that there is really no reason to. I'll try it out eventually, and test to see how easily things can be reverted, but if the process is difficult for an end-user I'll be more then happy to try and influence distro's by whatever means to use xfce, lxde or similar desktops rather then shipping with gnome3-standard.

Whatever happened to: If it's not broke -- don't fix it ?
Jeff91

Mar 25, 2011
1:13 PM EDT
Doesn't Gnome 3 plan to scrap the Gnome Panel though? If so that will make a Gnome 2 like experience impossible to provide any longer. I've been using the Enlightenment desktop for couple years now and people that barely give it a chance have always complained that it is "too different" even though you can configure it to look like, well - anything. And now that Gnome 3 and Unity are jumping to something that is totally different and doesn't appear to be able to be configured too much... Well I don't think I'm the only one betting piles of people are going to be looking into KDE/XFCE/LXDE/E17 in the coming months. Gnome could see as quickly a decline as it saw a rise.

~Jeff Hoogland
sgage

Mar 25, 2011
2:21 PM EDT
It is my impression that Gnome 3 will indeed have panels available - I believe they're calling it GnomeClassic3 or something like that.

Whether they will continue any kind of actual development on it, or if they will scrap it down the line I don't know, but I think they're wise to just keep building it for the new stack. It wouldn't seem to be too difficult, and would prevent a mass exodus of old-school Gnomers like me.

I agree with the article that this notion that both Gnome Shell and Unity are espousing - that what's good for a smart phone or tablet is good for a desktop - is absurd.
azerthoth

Mar 25, 2011
4:00 PM EDT
call it what it is, Knome. All the blistering idiocy from the KDE rehab and learned exactly zero lessons. Way to reinvent the $(four_letter_word)-up.
Fettoosh

Mar 26, 2011
3:12 PM EDT
Quoting:All the blistering idiocy from the KDE

I believe what I see and lay aside what I hear. Elegance is what I see.

gus3

Mar 26, 2011
6:39 PM EDT
Time for a car analogy:

If KDE4 were a car, it would be a Cadillac with a three-cylinder engine and a manual transmission.

It doesn't matter how good it looks, if it's difficult to use. That's why "Vist@" is a swear word, when it comes after "Wind0ws".
Fettoosh

Mar 26, 2011
7:41 PM EDT
Quoting:Time for a car analogy:

Some analogies are for the birds. This one is wacky.

Quoting:It doesn't matter how good it looks, if it's difficult to use.

With elegance I wasn't referring to beauty, but rather to Functional Elegance. All things are relative and on the outside, there isn't much new to learn if one doesn't use the new features. One just have to get acquainted with it to appreciate the experience.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!