If you can't innovate, Litigate!

Story: Why Is Microsoft Seeking New State Laws That Allow it to Sue Competitors For Piracy by Overseas Suppliers? Total Replies: 8
Author Content
phsolide

Mar 26, 2011
9:12 PM EDT
It's pretty clear what's going on here. Microsoft's upper management has lost touch with actually doing things. They've worked with money (in the abstract) for so long, they're convinced that money is the measure of all things.

Hence, The Zune, reviewed as follows by Andy Ihnatko:

"Avoid," is my general message. The Zune is a square wheel, a product that's so absurd and so obviously immune to success that it evokes something akin to a sense of pity... Then Vista, the stillborn "Kin", and probably a raft of other rubbish products that I can't even remember.

So it makes sense to MSFT upper management to litigate. They think everything is up in the air, everything is negotiable, everything is a matter of taste that can be influenced by PR, bribes, political contributions and advertising.
tuxchick

Mar 26, 2011
10:05 PM EDT
Even the hard-line Microsoft-worshipers are carping. I've seen a number of articles the past couple years in publications like Forbes, Wall Street Journal, and Barrons criticizing Ballmer and saying pretty much what you said.
jhansonxi

Mar 26, 2011
11:55 PM EDT
Kinect was successful but a lot of the design was by an Israeli firm. On the other hand, their litigation strategies have been innovative.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 27, 2011
3:52 PM EDT
From as far back as the Code of Hamurabi, government regulations have been supported by the vested interests who benefit from those regulations.

It seems to me that every time someone tries to support a govt program, such as copyright, it is the SUPPOSED benefits that are cited as reasons for keeping it, against the real-world abuses, such as Microsoft's here, that are poopooed as "abberations" and "well sure, the system just needs some reforms".

Like disease, let's see how we can get along without it, rather than just reform reform reform while the vested interests tweak and game the system to their benefit by making their money by punishing everyone else.
tuxchick

Mar 27, 2011
8:27 PM EDT
Diseases have vested interests too! The money game is a rough game.
golem

Mar 28, 2011
7:13 AM EDT
The legislation Microsoft is advocating (successfully?) is a pretty brazen land-grab, but I'm sure it's not the ultimate. The ultimate will be laws that forbid anyone ever to use software not sold by Microsoft, or to sue Microsoft for any reason.
JaseP

Mar 28, 2011
8:58 AM EDT
M$ wants to be "The Corporation" as seen in Sci-Fi movies like Aliens & RoboCop. They won't be satisfied until they are essentially the Gov't.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 28, 2011
7:05 PM EDT
Can't disagree with any of the last three posts.
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 29, 2011
1:04 AM EDT
Ditto Bob.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!