The Radeon driver seems to work fine

Story: Here's The Special AMD Present For Ubuntu UsersTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
BFM

Mar 30, 2011
5:45 PM EDT
That is fine with me. The Radeon driver works fine for my purposes. Why should I endure the extra install issues with a proprietary driver when an open source one meets my needs. People who need to scratch the edge of the performance envelope such as gamers and some heavy duty visualization types will probably need the extra punch (if any), but I don't need the maintenance issues.
herzeleid

Mar 30, 2011
6:19 PM EDT
The source is strong with me as well. My work desktop, single-boot linux, has an amd graphics card. With the previous distro it needed the fglrx drivers in order to achieve acceptable performance. With the current distro, I've never even considered installing the proprietary graphics drivers, as the performance is snappy enough for everything I do, including compiz effects, and stability has been outstanding.
jezuch

Mar 31, 2011
2:24 AM EDT
It works for me too, at least with my current integrated chipset and as long as I don't want any extra bling. I once installed a somewhat better, albeit old, card acquired from my brother and the drivers started to lock-up frequently. (Sometimes it was days, sometimes mere minutes.) I guess I stepped on the "legacy" ground that not many eyeballs care about ;)
Koriel

Apr 02, 2011
10:23 AM EDT
Stopped using my ATI card on linux at version 10.6 for the simple reason its 2D performance sucked and had many bugs VSYNCH tearing being the most obvious, 3D was ok but nothing to write home about certainly compared to a similar NVIDIA card. Lots of problems using 2 monitors in a twinview setup as well and twinview is something i cant live without.

Im hoping they have fixed a lot things as i have to start using the card again under linux very soon and am dreading the amount of hoops im gonna have to jump through to get it working.

And yes im also a gamer as well as a developer so i need 2D & 3D working well and im afraid the open source driver 3D performance is appalling compared to proprietary but they are beginning to catch up, its 2D works well though.

As i said its fingers crossed here that the 11.x incarnation of their proprietary drivers are better than the 10.x series

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!