thanks, I needed a laugh!

Story: Windows Phone to eclipse iPhone sales by 2015 - forecastTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
tuxchick

Mar 30, 2011
6:17 PM EDT
And I want whatever drugs the brave souls at IDC are taking :)
Bob_Robertson

Mar 30, 2011
6:36 PM EDT
Someone who knows what side of his toast the butter is on, that's for sure.
hkwint

Mar 30, 2011
6:47 PM EDT
TC: It's called "MS-PEP".

MS-Power evangelism pills, I suppose. You see crazy stuff when having consumed those, like those red Acer Ferrari-laptops ending on your doormat, without ever having ordered or asked for one!

Sadly, even when I live in a street which features about 7 smartshops, I never saw those pills. Shame...
hkwint

Mar 30, 2011
6:58 PM EDT
Hey, I can do science, me!

*) 48% market share in 2006 and 33% in 2011 means Nokia looses 3 percent per year,

*) Loosing 3% per year four years from 2011 means loosing 12% until 2015,

*) Starting with 33% and loosing 12% you end up with 21%.

*) Keeping said rate, it will take Nokia untill 2017 to sink below Apple's market share.

So the geniusus at IDC figured, in 2015 Nokia only sells Windows, and as a result of said result (is it modus tollendo tollens?) Nokia is ditching Symbian. What great research!

Can I apply for a job at IDC now?
cr

Mar 30, 2011
8:00 PM EDT
@tc: No you don't. It's called "money from MS", and it costs you every bit of your integrity. I don't think you could handle such a bad trip.

There's an article in there somewhere... Go over to LinuxToday and search on each "analyst" firm's name (I recall seeing a lot of such articles posted there over the years). Grab all the posts where they've made predictions which touch on F/LOSS. Look up how accurate each was and tabulate it all. I'm guessing that neither IDC, Yankee Group nor Gartner will want the results listed and summarized in print or online... which is all the more reason why that should happen. That way, whenever they come out with another pronouncement, one can simply point to their scorecard. With repetition, the scorecard becomes part of the price of the pronouncement.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 31, 2011
2:20 AM EDT
What I find funny is that the graph shows Android as the market leader by a large margin, with more than twice the market share as #2 WP7. And that's from a bunch of MS fanboys. I.e. even the most pro-Windows, anti-Android people pulling numbers out of their @ss agree that Android (Linux) is going to be much, much bigger than Windows. And that's with all the pro-MS spin they manage to come up with.
hkwint

Mar 31, 2011
4:01 AM EDT
cr: Would be fun. Much work though. "IDC site:linuxtoday.com" turns up 10600 results. But I'll keep the idea in the back of my mind.
cr

Mar 31, 2011
11:48 AM EDT
Quoting:cr: Would be fun. Much work though. "IDC site:linuxtoday.com" turns up 10600 results. But I'll keep the idea in the back of my mind.

Maybe push it to a wiki and let others play too... a FUDbusters-in-miniature effort in the same spirit as GrokLaw?
tuxchick

Mar 31, 2011
12:15 PM EDT
Analysts have a strange and inexplicable influence on the PHB set. I assume they substitute for actual data and business skills. In theory analysts should at least provide accurate useful information such as market share, financials, and history, and make data-based predictions. But they are funded by the very companies they are analyzing, so duh conflict of interest anyone? There are innumerable loopholes for crafting a not-dishonest report, like results based on the most favorable ten-minute period in the last year.

Though industry analysts do create good honest in-depth reports; usually those do not see the light of day but are kept internal.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!