Glad I'm not the Only One...

Story: 4 Lessons Which Bodhi Linux Taught MeTotal Replies: 31
Author Content
Jeff91

Apr 04, 2011
9:07 PM EDT
I thought this one was a little crude/uninformed (which I left in a comment over there), but then I am super close to the Bodhi project (the lead dev) so I figured maybe it was just me. Then I saw a comment that summarised my thoughts well:

"A complete misleading article and a total waste of time. Thanks for the time you made me loose."
helios

Apr 05, 2011
9:08 AM EDT
"Thanks for the time you made me loose."

Either incorrect spelling or punctuation. In the case of correct punctuation, may I offer:

Thanks for the time, you made me loose.
azerthoth

Apr 05, 2011
11:05 AM EDT
Ah the differences punctuation make.

"It's time to eat Grandma" v "It's time to eat, Grandma"
hkwint

Apr 05, 2011
11:09 AM EDT
Hansel shouted: "Gretel, should I put my dress on?"

Or wait, maybe it was:

"Hansel", shouted Gretel, "Should I put my dress on?"
tuxchick

Apr 05, 2011
11:46 AM EDT
So am I the last person on Earth feebly railing against confusing 'loose' for 'lose'? No biggie, they only have completely opposite meanings.
ComputerBob

Apr 05, 2011
12:23 PM EDT
Quoting:So am I the last person on Earth feebly railing against confusing 'loose' for 'lose'?

Possibly.

But you' weren't the only one who was be bothered by it. ;)
mrider

Apr 05, 2011
12:28 PM EDT
"A complete misleading article and a total waste of time. Thanks for the time you made me loose."

As a kid, being "loose" was a euphemism for having loose bowels. So perhaps it's subtle satire at its finest?

:)

[EDIT] Wait a minute. Doesn't the apostrophe in "it's" mean "look out, you're about to encounter an s!" :b

Thanks ComputerBob!

[EDIT2] Oh for goodness sakes! "you're", not "your". Maybe I should just quit...

[EDIT3] Sigh...
ComputerBob

Apr 05, 2011
12:57 PM EDT
Quoting:As a kid, being "loose" was a euphemism for having loose bowels. So perhaps it's subtle satire at it's finest?

"Its" finest, not "it's" finest. ;)
jimbauwens

Apr 05, 2011
2:58 PM EDT
TC, you are not alone :) To be honest, I didn't notice the mistake at first.
ComputerBob

Apr 07, 2011
8:00 AM EDT
Quoting:As a kid, being "loose" was a euphemism for having loose bowels. So perhaps its subtle satire at it's finest?

Nope. You had one of them correct and one of them incorrect before. Now they're both incorrect.

It should be "As a kid, being "loose" was a euphemism for having loose bowels. So perhaps it's subtle satire at its finest?"

"It's" is a contraction of "It is."

"Its" is possesive.

Yeah, I know -- it's confusing, because it's the opposite of the way we normally use apostrophes in English.

Not-so-subtle satire: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe
chalbersma

Apr 07, 2011
9:40 AM EDT
Grammar Nazi's Attack!
tuxchick

Apr 07, 2011
10:14 AM EDT
Ha, The Oatmeal is the best :)
Koriel

Apr 07, 2011
12:15 PM EDT
I'm staying out of this one.
azerthoth

Apr 07, 2011
12:46 PM EDT
Its the misuse that gets me. Loose and Lose are distinct and different words. You can lose an arrow if you loose it into the treeline. You can loose a rope from a capstan. You can also lose your mind arguing with idiots who do not know any better and refuse the opportunity to learn.
ComputerBob

Apr 07, 2011
1:10 PM EDT
Quoting:Grammar Nazi's Attack!
You're confusing a defense with an attack. Since words are the only means that we currently have to communicate our ideas to each other in this forum, and, without body language clues, even proper grammar is often misunderstood, I defended proper grammar and usage against unintentional attacks by others. If you feel that my behavior justifies you "playing the Nazi card," then so be it.
mrider

Apr 07, 2011
3:41 PM EDT
Anything I say now is going to sound like an excuse. But I really, truly, do know the difference between "its" and "it's".

e.g. The cat is not standing, it's sitting in its bed.

I was posting while trying to get a really gnarly bit of code to work on Windows Server 2008 and frankly my head was all backwards. Good thing I didn't have voice recognition software running while posting, otherwise I would've been thrown off for language whilst cursing Microsoft's finest.

Also, I've never failed to get egg on my face whenever I try to be funny in public. I should just stop. <:^)
azerthoth

Apr 07, 2011
3:45 PM EDT
no, if you had been coding on a linux box you would have gotten ogg on your face.
Koriel

Apr 07, 2011
4:51 PM EDT
Here is my two cents worth, all this grammar is too much for my tiny mind to handle. There i think i got my toooooooooooo's correct :)

Oh and I want this Nazi card thing your playing with, is it like top trumps but with famous Nazi's on them, if so i'll play the British card and my Bernard Montgomery beats your Erwin Rommel!

There now, I think were even further OT.
tracyanne

Apr 07, 2011
5:50 PM EDT
I was walking the goat the other day, and we stopped by Mrs Browns house, she was in the front garden, so we had a bit of a chat. While we were talking the goat ate her roses, so I quietly edged away, and went home via the other street. I do hope she doesn't realise it was my goat that ate her roses.
ComputerBob

Apr 07, 2011
8:41 PM EDT
Quoting:Oh and I want this Nazi card thing your playing with, it...

Should be "...you're playing with..."

Quoting:There now, I think were even further OT.

Should be "...I think we're even further..."

TA, are you folks testing me now?

LOL
ComputerBob

Apr 07, 2011
8:46 PM EDT
Quoting:Anything I say now is going to sound like an excuse. But I really, truly, do know the difference between "its" and "it's".

I believe you.
jdixon

Apr 08, 2011
12:26 AM EDT
> But I really, truly, do know the difference between "its" and "it's".

Yes. So do I, and yet I type them wrong all the time. I manage to catch the error three quarters of the time, but other quarter get through. I have the same problem with there/their/they're. Apparently my typing is phonetic, and doesn't always pick the desired word matching the sound.
jezuch

Apr 08, 2011
1:51 AM EDT
Quoting:Yes. So do I, and yet I type them wrong all the time.

Maybe y'all should forget English and go to a foreign school of English? ;) I don't think many non-native speakers make so many mistakes with "it's" and "its". I know I didn't know about this problem until I started to read what native speakers write, and since then I'm thoroughly confused myself ;)
hkwint

Apr 08, 2011
5:30 AM EDT
Koriel:

Montgomery was a real effing <insert curse word here>, and a disgrace to whole human kind. Please read about operation "Market Garden", and how he blamed Stanisław Sosabowski and Polish army for the mistakes he; Montgomery made.

Now why do I get so upset you might ask? First of all, of course, I live in NL, and moreover, the city in which I live was liberated by the Polish. Hence the Polish tank a few streets from here, and a street named the General Maczek-street.

In fact I just found out (while at it), General Maczek's grave is 400m from my home - at the Polish cemetery two streets from here.

When Sosabowski and Montgomery discussed operation Market Garden, Sosabowski noted the plan was far too ambitious, stupid and not going to work. But Mr. Montgomery being an arrogant condensing jerk didn't want to listen. The result is probably known: The whole operation was a clusterf***, countless soldiers died because of Mr. Montgomery's ego. The Polish did a brave attempt to rescue a squadron which became entrapped near Oosterbeek due to the stupid plans of Mr. Montgomery; the Polish had to swim through the Rhine (at night) while being shot at. Exactly all of the things Mr. Montgomery was warned for came true.

And you know what happened afterward? Mr. Montgomery blamed Mr. Sosabowski and the Polish army. Saying they were to blame for the failure of the operation. Those who tried to save his ego by making the best of it were disgraced. Mr. Sosabowski was deprived of Polish citizenship by communist leaders in Poland, he couldn't even return home. So he worked in a small hotel in London until he died in 1967, where nobody knew him and knew what he did. Only in 2006, almost 40 years later, the Polish para-squadron received the highest military order of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, and Mr. Sosabowski received a Bronze Lion. Which is a bit late, but still recognition for the job he did.

So in my opinion, Mr. Rommel beats Mr. Montgomery any day, because at least as far as I'm aware, Mr. Rommel was honest.
Koriel

Apr 08, 2011
1:24 PM EDT
Certainly Montgomery was a wanker, and yes he was responsible for some major blunders but i'm afraid the major screw up of Market Garden was not completely his even though he did not help the situation there.

The original scheme for Market Garden was his idea but was significantly changed by Eisenhower who was effectively Montgomery's commander. The actual scheme bore little resemblance to what Montgomery had in mind, that's not to say that Montgomery's plan was any better, just that it wasn't all his and most historians say he was not well pleased about this.

But even so after the operation because of his arrogance he refused to accept it had been a disaster, he actually believed it was a 90% success, so certainly he more than qualifies as a jerk.

But Market Garden was a collective blunder and not just one mans mistake, the Germans had been highly underestimated by the Brits which Sosabowski commented on at the time along with the mission planners "sexing up" the dire warnings that they had been receiving from Dutch intelligence on the ground.

As you so rightly say it was a clusterf*** but it wasn't just one mans ego it was a multitude of ego's at the top.

Anyway that's how i see it, but its all history and as always history is rarely accurate especially in times of war and I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone by my post it was meant to be slightly humorous, I obviously did not succeed on that score.

And yes I also believe Rommel was the better man.

We're so OT.
lcafiero

Apr 08, 2011
1:37 PM EDT
Dr. Godwin, white courtesy phone . . . .
hkwint

Apr 08, 2011
1:43 PM EDT
Hmm, well, so one of the lessons Bodhi Linux eventually tought me is related to operation Market Garden, that's not so off topic, is it? Ahem.
Koriel

Apr 08, 2011
2:30 PM EDT
Back OT

I tried Bodhi for 3 days on a virtual machine last week, so here's my potted tuppence worth.

It makes excellent use of resources.

It looks great.

Its very minimalist (I like) possibly too minimalist, I would of liked at least the inclusion of gcc on a basic install as Vmware Tools require compiling but this would only be a problem on virtual machines obviously.

Its not based on 10.10 as mentioned in the article its based on 10.04 which leads me to believe the reviewer didn't do much research or even just visit the Bodhi website.

Somethings are not immediately transparent such how to set font sizes and adjust dpi, I eventually figured it out.

It has plenty of software available for it via the net.

A lot of my problems with it are simply because it does things in a manner i'm not used to. Im fairly set in my useability ways and like things to be logically obvious, so even if I don't know where to find something then at least I can work it out.

Would I use it, nope, I'm too set in my ways and don't really have the time to become comfortable with a different way of doing things, i'll be sticking with XFCE for the moment.

This is in no way a reflection on the distro but a reflection on myself. The distro I felt was a very competent effort and as it matures it should be one to watch.

Edit: I reckon my dream distro would be based on an Xfce that had the thematic ability and resource usage of E17.
Jeff91

Apr 09, 2011
1:20 AM EDT
Thanks Koriel - your few paragraphcs there are a better summary than anything DarkDuck wrote >.<

~Jeff
Koriel

Apr 09, 2011
10:00 AM EDT
I did have a few thoughts after I wrote this, I do love the minimalism you brought in to Bodhi although as mentioned I felt the lack of gcc on install was a shortcoming but thats a minor niggle overall.

Another thing that amazed me was resource consumption in fact i was gobsmacked that it only consumed a little over 90mb on startup while a default Xubuntu consumes approx 220mb and thats before I start the major services like mysql, In fact it is so low a figure im beginning to wonder if I was asleep and dreaming at the time.

So what im about to try is taking the Bodhi base stripping out E17 and replacing it with Xfce 4.8 and see what im left with, it could be a disaster or I might end up with exactly what im looking for, we will see how it goes. If anything it will be an interesting excercise as my current Xfce distro Xubuntu is still way too Gnome/Ubuntu heavy and a major resource consumer.

Im currently searching around for a good minimalist xfce distro, so if any folks have ideas on where I can find such a beast then let me know.

DrGeoffrey

Apr 09, 2011
10:38 AM EDT
Linux Mint XFCE may be worth considering.
Koriel

Apr 09, 2011
12:30 PM EDT
@DrGeoffrey

Already tried the latest Mint Xfce unfortunately it only comes with version 4.6 and I prefer 4.8.

If it were Ubuntu based then i woudn't have a problem as i have repositories for xfce 4.8 on 10.04 and 10.10 but its debian which still doesn't have a working 4.8 repository.

Now have Xfce 4.8 installed on Bodhi and it looks like we have a winner with only 98mb of ram used for a default install.

Edit: Apparently Debian experimental now carries Xfce 4.8 so im going to give Mint another try.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!