Time to pack up

Story: Ubuntu 11.10 Will Not Ship With A Classic Gnome DesktopTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Apr 07, 2011
2:54 AM EDT
I'll start looking for a different distro then, because 11.04 is the last I will use. I have put Ubuntu on many computers for my family. None of them like Unity (or Gnome Shell for that matter). I guess I'll be forced to update a lot of PCs...
jimbauwens

Apr 07, 2011
3:01 AM EDT
The same with me. Or I will try to configure gnome to look classic, or I will switch to another desktop like xfce. The current gnome 2 layout *works*, and I like it very much. Ditching it just doesn't make any sense.
dinotrac

Apr 07, 2011
7:14 AM EDT
Look at the bright side, guys:

At least GNOME v KDE flame wars will have both sides on equal footing now.
albinard

Apr 07, 2011
11:10 AM EDT
Well, it's why we all use Linux - if you don't like it, you can change it. For myself, I've become a major fan of LXDE. When I get bored with it, I just add compiz toys.
azerthoth

Apr 07, 2011
12:04 PM EDT
Looking at the LinuxMint XFCE Debian edition this weekend.
Koriel

Apr 07, 2011
12:09 PM EDT
Just use Xubuntu or Mint Xfce, you just cant go wrong with xfce, i have never understood the hooha about gnome. Never liked Gnome in its 1.0, 2.0 incarnations and probably wont like 3.0 they always seemed raw and amateurish to me while KDE always seemed to be more polished well until 4.0 happened. Then i switched to Xfce and i was saved!, praise be, hallelujah!!

We should start an XFCE vs LXDE flame war wont that be fun.
azerthoth

Apr 07, 2011
12:31 PM EDT
no contest, LXDE is still ugly, hackish, and unpolished. Where is there the possibility for a flame war there?
herzeleid

Apr 07, 2011
2:05 PM EDT
I'm going to wait and see how unity turns out before making any major decisions on distro changes. It's too soon to tell how unity will ultimately suit me. The current rough test versions, though a bit rough are certainly moving in the right direction but beyond that it's hard to say anything with certainty.
hkwint

Apr 07, 2011
2:31 PM EDT
Natty Narwhal also failed to install grub2 properly (config file is there but bootloader not installed on HD!), so I haven't even been able to boot it. But I think I just found it, will fire it up using grub1 and then I can join the Unity-conversation!

Not that I ever worked with Gnome; I think KDE3 vs. 4 probably showed it's better that way though. Gnome / non-KDE may like KDE4 better than KDE3 users. In the same way, non-Gnome users may have lower expectations of Unity.

It's a weird feeling, that I'm booting the newest Ubuntu but not the newest Gnome-version.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!