I didn't know about ASCII playback.

Story: 25 things you can do with VLC!Total Replies: 4
Author Content
JaseP

Apr 12, 2011
9:32 AM EDT
I didn't know about ASCII playback. That's very cool,... Limited in terms of use, but very cool.
gus3

Apr 12, 2011
11:48 AM EDT
MPlayer also supports ASCII art playback via "aa" or "caca", but you probably need to enable hard framedropping.
tmx

Apr 12, 2011
1:28 PM EDT
Although I use Totem mozilla plugin, I've never managed to get VLC mozilla plugin to work on either Windows or Linux. Not even sure what its use are and if I'm missing something.

These day I am more inclined toward MPlayer due to its better support of hardware acceleration, especially for portable devices. But I'm happy with having both choices.
azerthoth

Apr 13, 2011
10:51 PM EDT
yup, I have my preferences too, all of them command line or scriptable. mplayer for playback, mencoder for recording, ffmpeg for converting, and yes I know mencoder uses ffmpeg.
JaseP

Apr 14, 2011
9:13 AM EDT
I know a lot of people dislike VLC, but in practical terms, I have found it superior to Totem, et al. in terms of usability & playback. This is especially true in an HTPC setting. Now, if I could only figure out how to make it default to 16:9 cropping...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!