The Fact that this HOWTO Exists...

Story: How To Re-Enable The Notification Area (Systray) In Ubuntu 11.04, For All ApplicationsTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
Jeff91

Apr 18, 2011
12:17 AM EDT
Just one more reason to jump to Linux Mint or any other *buntu distro out there. They really are going to shot themselves in the head with this one.
r_a_trip

Apr 18, 2011
7:05 AM EDT
Seems to me they are already making "Desktoppy" concessions in Unity. There wasn't supposed to be a traditional systray. I'm not surprised they added one. I already predicted that they might add standard desktop features if Unity was to be usable on a desktop. http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/143738/index.html

While they seem to be pretending that it is for "legacy" applications, the way it is configured makes it clear that they can re-enable it wholesale. I wonder how many FOSS applications will opt for following the new paradigms of Unity and Gnome Shell. They both are limited in reach. The rest of the FOSS desktop managers still primarily use the systray for status information.

There is a reason we are lugging around a "taskbar" and a "systray" for over twenty years, ever since MS came out with Win95 (maybe there were even earlier implementations?). It "just works".
fewt

Apr 18, 2011
8:45 AM EDT
>The Fact that this HOWTO Exists...

+1
helios

Apr 18, 2011
11:45 AM EDT
I keep two panels on my desktop...a top and bottom. It is just much easier to drag often-used apps from the menu to the panel. Forcing a user to click three times when they can click once is just madness.

Or maybe the devs are hoping for a mass hypnotic bling effect.

If so, it didn't take on this end.

+1 Trippster
dinotrac

Apr 19, 2011
4:30 AM EDT
+1

(No comments as they all went to my non-existent virtual Unity non-systray)
tracyanne

Apr 19, 2011
6:05 AM EDT
I installed Natty beta 2 on an old laptop I have sitting around, and was thilled to see the familiar Gnome desktop, then I realised it's video card wasn't capable of running Unity. On the other hand I am actually looking foward to getting my tablet with Natty final on it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!