Interesting ...

Story: LibreOffice 3.4 Beta 1 Available, Oracle Unchains OpenOfficeTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
cfcrawford

Apr 19, 2011
10:14 AM EDT
Some of the posts under the article are arguing the semantics of "commercial" vs. "free". I honestly don't care what it means. However, I just think that Oracle saw that it was "losing the battle" so to speak. Not to mention the article pointed to the fact that maybe sales didn't uphold profit-margins.

Ubuntu switched to LibreOffice ... and that's (regardless of opinions of Ubuntu) powerful.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 19, 2011
1:07 PM EDT
One thing to remember is that OpenOffice and now LibreOffice are widely used in Windows. Losing the Linux community doesn't mean as much as one might think.
cfcrawford

Apr 19, 2011
2:19 PM EDT
Hmmm ... I didn't think of that angle. I'm just immersed in the Linux world most of the time.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 19, 2011
5:46 PM EDT
I really have no idea what the support market for OpenOffice looks like, and whether there's anything there to hold onto as far as Oracle is concerned.
hkwint

Apr 20, 2011
11:10 AM EDT
I guess with LibreOffice available for free, it's probably hard to earn money from StarOffice (which Oracle baptized "Oracle Open Office").

After all, it seems LibreOffice was advancing just as quick as or even faster than OOO, so for OOO to be attractive, they would have had to throw money at it to make it better than LO, while at the same time not being able to earn very much from the resulting office suite. Not a good business case, hence they threw the towel. Think most people foresaw this coming - lots of them even before Oracle did.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 21, 2011
2:01 AM EDT
It was OO.o being free and available on Windows that got me started on my path towards using more open source software and eventually switching to Linux full time..then one day I found this Linux news website called 'LXer' and now look at me.

;-)
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 21, 2011
1:41 PM EDT
OO was your gateway drug - that's how it's supposed to work.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!