tablets, keyboard docking station

Story: Smart BookTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
klhrevolution

Apr 23, 2011
1:53 PM EDT
This concept is genius in my opinion--there are times when a tablet will work and other times for when a netbook will work. These types of devices will either have a constant ui across the board or when you go into tablet mode you may go into a iapple, android, xpud ui type of interface which could make the tablet much easier to use and should make things interesting.

They fancy the omap3/A8 too :)
rwdubsreviews

Apr 23, 2011
7:13 PM EDT
There are a couple out by other companies. Just saw one yesterday at Radio Shack but they only run Android. The one I saw was running 2.2. Cellphone with a netbook like dock.
JaseP

Apr 26, 2011
8:34 AM EDT
It's just as good to simply sync data there's no real need to physically connect the machines. A dock is just another piece of (usually proprietary) technology to sell you.
jdixon

Apr 26, 2011
10:20 AM EDT
> It's just as good to simply sync data...

The eventual goal is to replace your desktop PC completely and only have the mobile device. The dock allows you to connect it to your normal interface equipment (keyboard, mouse, monitor, and network). When that happens, there won't be anything to sync to.
JaseP

Apr 26, 2011
10:40 AM EDT
But the "docking station" will have just as much cost associated with it as your current desktop machine does... And on top of that, when your mobile device dies (or gets broken/stolen/what-have-you), now you have no computer...

I love gadgets and probably have more OF them than most of you (short list: N900, Asus 702 netbook, Viliv S5, Gigabyte M912m convertible, Pepper Pad 3, Nationite Midnite web tablet with a second one on the way, laptop, 3 HTPCs, desktop machine, 2 Archos 604 WiFis, 2 neuros OSDs, Micasaverde Vera & a server)... but I see no need for a docking station. I think that they are big wastes... Important stuff from one to the other machine is just my gmail account or a USB connection/flash drive away.
jdixon

Apr 26, 2011
12:05 PM EDT
> But the "docking station" will have just as much cost associated with it as your current desktop machine does...

It shouldn't, but I will grant that it might, especially if they remain non-standardized.

> And on top of that, when your mobile device dies ... you have no computer...

And when my computer dies I have no computer. What's the difference, save that a mobile device may be more likely to break?
hkwint

Apr 26, 2011
12:11 PM EDT
Quoting:But the "docking station" will have just as much cost associated with it as your current desktop machine does...

I beg to differ, the docking station is sold for $100! Now, do you buy a desktop for $100?

Actually, the AI docking station is just a keyboard + battery with custom design.
jdixon

Apr 26, 2011
12:28 PM EDT
> Now, do you buy a desktop for $100?

Actually, yes. :) But that's another discussion.
JaseP

Apr 26, 2011
1:52 PM EDT
@ hkwint:

You're not buying a desktop machine for $100, you're buying a port replicator for $100... & then, many times you'll need a keyboard, mouse, monitor & cables. And yes, mobiles are MUCH more likely to break.
hkwint

Apr 26, 2011
4:27 PM EDT
I was talking about the AI 'docking station' (the keyboard) because after all this thread was about AI, I suppose we had a miscommunication.

The AI tablet is $299, the 'netbook' (with keyboard) is $399, so yeah, you're buying the docking station (keyboard + battery) for $100.

Of course, if you buy at Apple [he] co you will be 'ripped of', err, I mean adding to their fat bonuses and yachts. Not that I mind[/he] many of those yachts are build 50km from my home (Steven Spielberg's is), so it's good for our local economy.
jdixon

Apr 26, 2011
4:59 PM EDT
> And yes, mobiles are MUCH more likely to break.

The fact that mobile devices of past and recent vintage are more likely to break than desktops can't be generalized to the fact that all mobile devices always will be. :)

There's no inherent reason a mobile device couldn't be as durable as a desktop. But if you can get the price down to a low enough level, there's also no reason to make them that durable. Instead, you just replace it when it breaks, the way you do any disposable item.
JaseP

Apr 26, 2011
6:19 PM EDT
What is the financial incentive to make a (powerful) mobile device durable? Sell once,... that's it... No repeat customers. You better capture the market with a device like that.
azerthoth

Apr 27, 2011
1:30 AM EDT
hmm, so I have to lug around a phone and a keyboard/monitor rig for a gimped half baked semi functional laptop experiance? Explain to me why I dont carry a fully functional laptop and just use the phone for tethering?
JaseP

Apr 27, 2011
9:36 AM EDT
@ azerthoth:

That's kinda my point too. As convertibles go I kinda have my eye on the Dell Inspiron Duo... But you have an excellent point in terms of why would I want a tablet that does netbook, but really doesn't do either as well as it could (bulk & weight vs just using a USB or bluetooth keyboard/mouse)...

My alternative is a Chinese Tenq P07 type device. I just have to figure out which have capacitive touchscreen drivers. I'm even considering making myself into an e-tailer & reselling "the right one" with my user interface tweaks, in a pre-installed Ubuntu remix. I'm just leery as to which ones will have working touchsceens w/ either Lucid LTS or Natty.

This device would be replacing my Gigabyte M912m as my primary work note-taking device. I love my M912m, but it's heavy & a tad uncomfortable to use. I'd go Android, but I need Xournal, Open/LibreOffice, PDFsam, PDFshuffler & a few other apps.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!