Untitled

Story: 16 things we'd change about UbuntuTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
Fettoosh

May 02, 2011
2:42 PM EDT
Quoting:Ubuntu is a popular Linux-based distro but, like everything in life, it isn't perfect. There's plenty that could be improved, both in terms of software and the way it goes about doing things. Here's what we think would improve it.

And what makes you so qualified to do better?

In my opinion, most of the items listed in the article are personal preferences, stupid, or flat out silly.

Steven_Rosenber

May 02, 2011
8:21 PM EDT
I disagree with (my comments in parentheses):

10. Use RPM (are they HIGH?)

14. Don't use disk UUIDs (I'm OK with UUIDs ... now if I only understood Grub 2)

Which means I agree with 14 of 16 things in the article (my comments again in parentheses):

1. Show how it helps

2. Make better colour choices

3. Set up a home partition

4. Lengthen the release cycle

5. Explain changes

6. Try more user testing of new ideas

7. Consider rolling releases (though I would prefer rolling plus 2-year LTS)

8. Make Lubuntu official

9. Partition LVM (I wish I understood it better, but I still always use it in Debian; you can get it in Ubuntu with the Alternate installer)

11. Give us a minimal/network install

12. Don't be greedy (Banshee grab did way more harm than good)

13. Simplify codec installation (just do it)

15. Fix more paper cuts

16. Embrace the games market
tmx

May 02, 2011
11:36 PM EDT
@OP. I don't think you should ridicule the writer for his ideas even though you disagree with them. I don't think Ubuntu would ever improve without some form of criticism. (And even thought we're criticizing they haven't seem to listen, but that's a different story. I think they will when more users began to migrate to alternatives like Linux Mint.)

2. Better color choices.

I actually think the default color from Ubuntu 10.04 till now is not very good. The shiny LSD purple default wallpaper doesn't work well because most monitors except for professional monitors do not have its color adjusted with a colorimeter. It looks like drug effects and its looks bad to the eyes on 90% of monitors because of the shininess. Windows Vista and 7 also have a poorly conceived default wallpaper. Also the Ambiance theme is not good because it makes me feel like a FPS gamer using computer in the dark with the curtain closed, the same feeling of using Vista. The Radiance theme however is good and should have been the default. However, the text in the Radiance theme is gray, not black. Many people used computer now included partially blind and seniors. Font size, contrast, design, color blindness are all things that should be a consideration. Hate to say it but Apple is very careful with their design and aware of these issues, there are still a little more Ubuntu can rip off from Apple.

However, I have to mention the greatest feature of linux desktop environment is the ability to instantly change the font size which effects all applications in the system without needing to log off/restart and no severely screw up the application layout, neither Mac nor Windows can do this. As simple as this may seem, its probably one of the top 10 reason why I prefer linux.

13. Simplify codec installation

This is exactly what Kubuntu do and is one of the reason why I recommend Kubuntu and Mint over Ubuntu to new Linux users. I think the window that ask the user to install the codecs in Kubuntu is really just installing the Kubuntu restrictions, so they could just pop up a similar menu asking to install Ubuntu restrictions.

15. Fix more paper cuts

Ubuntu have inexcusable bugs in 10.10 like when you open a menu and move your mouse away quickly, the menu box's outline is stuck on the screen permanently until you open that menu again. And they still haven't fixed it and just moved on to 11.04. WTF?

10: Use RPM

Agreed with Scott here. Terrible idea. see: Maemo Deb -> Meego RPM.
Fettoosh

May 03, 2011
1:40 PM EDT
Quoting:I don't think you should ridicule the writer for his ideas even though you disagree with them

but it has some big flaws

It is not a matter of disagreeing with the points, it is a matter of making a statement like this just on the basis of his preference, subjective ideas, or flat out inaccurate understanding what Canonical objectives are. I hope this lengthy elaboration is going to help why some journalist should be ridiculed.

1. Show how it helps Inaccurate: Ubuntu is popular because of what it is doing for Linux. Only those who envy or disagree with its path think otherwise. Those will not be convinced no matter what Ubuntu says or does. And if Canonical trumpets what they are doing, they will be accused of bragging and get based for it.

Red Hat doesn't develop the kernel, neither Novel develops the applications, nor Debian does the packaging alone. They all participate, collaborate, and contribute. Sure some more than others, but mostly a collective effort with many other volunteers.

2. Make better colour choices Personal preference: Not a flaw. Besides, they have been changing it for the better.

3. Set up a home partition Inaccurate: This is an option for the user and available as such. Not necessarily good, but some Windows users feel more comfortable not having multiple partitions.

4. Lengthen the release cycle Personal Preference: Why Lengthen it? if you don't want to update as often, you don't have to. FOSS software is extremely dynamic and in constant flux. A six months cycle accommodates nicely for some users who want to be on the cutting edge. It also benefits developers in getting their software testing more often and get quick feedback, so how is that a flaw?

5. Explain changes They do even though they don't have to. Whether you agree with them or not, that is not their issue, it is yours. Shuttleworth explained that Ubuntu is not a democracy, and canonical is a business company which funds Ubuntu. So they don't have to explain anything. It is their business and they run it whichever way they desire. So far they have been successful and became the most popular distro. How is that a flaw?

6. Try more user testing of new ideas Inaccurate: Isn't the six months release cycle mostly for that?

7. Consider rolling releases Personal preference: I am sure they did and decided that rolling releases is not the best at this time. My guess would be because Ubuntu is still in flux and rolling release doesn't work well in this situation. Case in point, Natty is a major switch.

8. Make Lubuntu official Inaccurate: How do you make a supported distro more official?

9. Partition LVM Personal preference: Average desktop, notebook, netbook, tablet users don't need such sophistication and complications. Not a flaw but smart path.

10. Use RPM Personal preference: Ubuntu installation, update, and upgrade are so simple, easy and reliable because of using APT. why change? Why and how is it considered to be a flaw when it is one of the strengths of Ubuntu and many adopt Ubuntu because it uses APT?

11. Give us a minimal/network install Personal preference: A wish and the justifications for it aren't there.

12. Don't be greedy Subjective: Canonical is a company in business to make money while supporting FOSS, what is so bad about that? Not a flaw but rather the FOSS way. Making money is a good incentive for commercial companies to support and make FOSS flourish faster.

13. Simplify codec installation OK: It could use some improvement, but Canonical is a commercial company and understanable to be a bit concerned about getting sued.

14. Don't use disk UUIDs Sounds good: But not a flaw and could be changed.

15. Fix more paper cuts OK: that is always true and with every software. Not really a flaw by Ubuntu alone.

16. Embrace the games market Silly but OK: But there is so much that can be done at this time as Ubuntu is being forged. Besides, there are many other factors beside Ubuntu embracing games to bring more games to Linux.
tracyanne

May 03, 2011
6:17 PM EDT
13. Simplify codec installation

Not a biggie, but most new to Linux users are unaware of the Medibuntu repositories, which does make it appear that CODECs are difficult on Ubuntu (and therefore Linux in general). A window like that used by Linux Mint with getting started tips, and links to useful information, would be helpful.

15. Fix more paper cuts

That's just an ongoing process.

16. Embrace the games market

A nice to have I suppose.
Steven_Rosenber

May 03, 2011
7:33 PM EDT
I'd like to see the reasoning behind killing .deb for .rpm
BernardSwiss

May 03, 2011
7:55 PM EDT
2. Make better colour choices . Hey, I like earth tones! And honestly, the 8.04 default wallpaper was the only one that really caught the attention of most of my non-techie acquaintances.

Really! The cube was just another fancy geek-toy that they didn't much care about as something they realistically might actually want to use themselves, but the Hardy colour scheme and Heron appealed to them as something attractive -- even elegant -- that they wouldn't find distracting or get tired of in a day or two.

4. Lengthen the release cycle . The trouble with the length of the release cycle isn't that it's too short for users, but that Canonical doesn't seem able to keep up with it, themselves. Hence the gravity of point # 15 (Fix more paper cuts).

7. Consider rolling releases . I'd like that (I generally use Debian for my machines) but for documentation and making it easy for newcomers to know which documentation and advice actually pertains to them, distinct releases with their own names is probably a huge help.

10. Use RPM . What ever for? Ubuntu depends on Debian -- and they know it and say so in no uncertain terms. What would this accomplish, aside from adding to the work load. (LSB is a red herring)

12. Don't be greedy . My understanding is that this is a pretty standard split. -- similar to Firefox and Google, for example.

13. Simplify codec installation . It's actually pretty simple, now. For the rest, Tracyanne nailed it, above.

14. Don't use disk UUIDs . I don't like them either -- but they're pretty much foolproof, and if you know enough to object, you can tinker to suit.

15. Fix more paper cuts . Indeed! Silly regressions and breakage probably does much more harm than the necessity to download codecs. ( It seems to be getting worse. See # 4. Lengthen the release cycle). It's also a perfect lead-in to the topic of Free as in Free software.
JaseP

May 04, 2011
9:06 AM EDT
The only one I feel really motivated to chime in on is the multiple partitions (separate home partition). I agree it should be the default. There are too many users who are too intimidated to do it on their own. Plus having multiple partitions simplifies installation of new distros. It's one of the strengths of Linux. So, I disagree with Fetoosh on that one. Windoze users, shmindoze users,... They're obviously not THAT uncomfortable with Linux if they're willing to install it on their machine (even dual-booters). Heck, even Windozers would benefit from having their "My Documents" directory on a separate partition (if Windoze could handle that without pitching a fit).

jdixon

May 04, 2011
10:00 AM EDT
> Heck, even Windozers would benefit from having their "My Documents" directory on a separate partition (if Windoze could handle that without pitching a fit).

I think XP and up will let you do that without problems. I know my work machine has it's document directory on another partition, and it's XP SP3.
Fettoosh

May 04, 2011
2:18 PM EDT
Quoting:I agree it should be the default

A default option should always be the simplest, in this case it is simplest for both, the users and the developers. If it was to be a separate home partition, the user will have to determine the size, and that is an option that currently is available for the user to take if up to it. Otherwise, it gets tedious for the developer to determine a reasonable partition size, especially if the user is doing a dual boot.

Quoting:So, I disagree with Fetoosh on that one. Windoze users, shmindoze users,...

I agree having a separate home partition is the better option and I won't have it any other way, but I disagree it should be the default and as long as the option for the user is there to select.

Quoting: Heck, even Windozers would benefit from having their "My Documents" directory on a separate partition

Actually, in networked XP (Enterprise env) we have My Documents & other folders on a network server.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!