Looks like pure promotion to me

Story: Bodhi Linux Desktop of the Week ContestTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
ComputerBob

May 17, 2011
9:05 AM EDT
This is not news.

It's a Bodhi Linux promotion.

A "contest" in which the "winners" get their screenshots displayed on the Bodhi Linux Web site.

C'mon, Jeff -- we probably ALL have Web sites, blogs, products, services, etc. that we want to advertise and promote -- but, IMHO, it's inappropriate to use a news site like LXer to do it.
tuxchick

May 17, 2011
11:42 AM EDT
Contests and sales are news, I don't see a problem with posting this on LXer. It says 'contest' right in the headline, so it's not trying to be misleading.
Steven_Rosenber

May 17, 2011
11:49 AM EDT
If it's FOSS-related, it's good for LXer. Anything a distribution is doing, we should know about it.
gus3

May 17, 2011
1:34 PM EDT
If not for the flexibility and beauty of the Enlightenment desktop, we'd still be stuck with square geometries and gray.

FOSS is all about choice. Such contests as this are a big way to demonstrate the power of choice.

(And phooey on responsibility. I can be irresponsible on my GUI desktop, right?)
herzeleid

May 17, 2011
2:19 PM EDT
CB - it was "news" to me...
BernardSwiss

May 17, 2011
7:43 PM EDT
Yes, it's a Bodhi Linux promotion.

And it's news,

Not very big news, compared to, say, the Bodhi project's resistance to implementing package signing, but still news -- and fun news, yet. And I'm sure that if Ubuntu had a similar announcement, that would receive as much or likely more attention.

Coders might not care, but artists might. And even those of us who are neither might like to just take a peek.

Grishnakh

May 18, 2011
9:54 PM EDT
I don't see the problem. It doesn't sound like they're trying to sell anything or get people to pay money to enter, it's just some fun little competition.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!