FTA

Story: Screwing the end user and seeing how far you getTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
helios

May 20, 2011
10:06 AM EDT
My hope is that the Linux community will never fixate on any issue or topic at the expense of the final judge and jury of Linux's value in the world: the end users.

While "The Linux Community" is too fragmented to make such an action possible, large factions are not. Oh, I don't know...KDE, Gnome...The Linux Flagship Canonical?

All have done exactly the same thing to a point. The players and motives have been different but the results have pretty much been the same. At least with Linux, we can board the Good Ship Mint or XFCE...we need not stay sailed on a slowly sinking boat.

The Captains of such sweeping change probably believe history will show them doing the right thing.

I believe the lifeboats are being manned as we speak.

raislinux2

May 20, 2011
5:24 PM EDT
Helios, I hope not. I hope that as we see the errors of others, we can learn from them and make adjustments.

I would concur that the greatest advantage is that the community is so diverse and fragmentation allows for things like Mint or XFCE to exist. The monolith will die not because it couldn't listen to end-users, but BECAUSE it could not adjust.

But it is people like yourself who can help convey the need for this among all of the community at large!
Koriel

May 20, 2011
6:50 PM EDT
Have already boarded the good ship Linux Mint XFCE (Debian Edition) and am currently sailing off into the sunset whilst the Ubuntu flagship appears to be listing heavily due to being torpedoed below the waterline by Canonical U96.

One could say Ubuntu has been given Das Boot.
raislinux2

May 20, 2011
8:48 PM EDT
Koriel, indeed!
gus3

May 21, 2011
2:44 PM EDT
@Koriel, -1 for the bad pun.
Koriel

May 21, 2011
7:47 PM EDT
Aww and I have been trying to work my fav movie into a pun for years :)
tuxchick

May 21, 2011
7:53 PM EDT
I will never admit I laughed.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!