The author is actually spreading some of those common myths

Story: Linux vs Other Operating Systems : 7 common myths bustedTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
caitlyn

May 22, 2011
12:45 PM EDT
My response/comment, which I did add to his article:

You are actually spreading some common myths about Linux. First, you say "That said, Linux’s market share still stands at a meager 2%..." That's a false statement no matter how you define market share. Depending on who you believe Linux stands somewhere between 35-40% of the server market, with Linux plus UNIX holding the majority since 1999. On the desktop the 2% number is much lower than even Microsoft claims for Linux. See:

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2010/09/debunking-the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_adoption

The actual number is probably still under 10%.

You state "Why are many people switching to an operating system that is not only free but is not even backed by any multi-million dollar corporation?" Linux isn't backed by any one multi-million dollar corporation but rather by many such corporations. Red Hat revenue is expect to eclipse $1 billion this year. Look at the Linux Foundation membership and corporate investment in Linux by companies like Intel, HP and IBM.

It seems like you've bought into some of the popular FUD about Linux as well.
skelband

May 22, 2011
4:17 PM EDT
@caitlyn: Agreed

That doesn't even include the numerous embedded applications or the prevalence in the supercomputer environment.
Jeff91

May 22, 2011
6:32 PM EDT
He lost me when he said Fedora was developed with the non-technical user in mind.

~Jeff
nikkels

May 22, 2011
9:07 PM EDT
Linux sucks because it has only 2-3 % market share. Mercedes Benz sucks too, as it has only 3% market share. Spinach sucks too.........ask any kid. Going to school sucks...........ask the kids. Abstinence sucks .. .ask anyone

OK..... OK,.... I am going ! .....to have my 1st cup of coffee for the day. Maybe I stop rambling.

:-)
dba477

May 23, 2011
12:06 PM EDT
> Linux is for everyone. While Linux based distributions like Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Fedora are developed with the non-technical user in mind

Yes. He lost me too. F15 is a bleeding edge distro. Linux is not for everyone, but Windows is. Ubuntu is always attractive for development, because on Fedora everything has been already done.
jezuch

May 23, 2011
4:33 PM EDT
Windows is not for everyone. Counterexample: Windows is not for me. QED.

;)
BernardSwiss

May 23, 2011
6:17 PM EDT
Windows is not for everyone -- and I think help enough friends and acquaintances with their Windows to be entitled to an opinion on the matter.

Windows is marketed for everyone,

That's not actually the same thing; but unfortunately, the marketing has been so long-running and so pervasive (and so reflected in other aspects of media) that most believe it -- their own, contrary experience not withstanding.

JaseP

May 25, 2011
9:31 AM EDT
My friends, family & co-workers know me to use (GNU)Linux, see the amazing things I can do with it, & still wont switch. People have a herd mentality (& not a HURD mentality, wink-wink). They need motivation to switch, unless they are independent, confident and strong willed. The independent, confident and strong willed make up, at most, 10-15% of the population. The rest will follow their poorly chosen masters (political, corporate, social, religious, whatever) off the cliff like lemmings.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!