No this is completely different.

Story: Here We Go Again: How to Tell a Bubble When you See OneTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
dinotrac

May 24, 2011
1:02 PM EDT
Don't you remember the rules from the end of the last century? People had the audacity to point out that many of the new darlings weren't making money and didn't have clear prospects of doing so.

What were we told? THE OLD RULES DON'T APPLY!

Sooo...

Following the new conventional wisdom (repeated periodically as a new generation of suckers and flim/flam artists is born), be happy, don't worry.
tuxchick

May 24, 2011
1:36 PM EDT
Oh, flim/flam! At first I read "flan" because I had some for dessert yesterday. It was very tasty.

This is awesome, Andy is really cutting loose:

Quoting:Still, things aren't quite as crazy as they were back in the day, back when anyone with a drivers' license to prove they were under 25 could stroll along Sand Hill Road in Menlo Park or Winter Street in Waltham looking for money. VCs would swarm them like horny johns cruising the Red Light District for a little fun on a Saturday night. Without even asking to see a business plan, they'd throw an entrepreneur $10 or $30 or $50 million for a roll in the hay they hoped might lead to a quick IPO. Hundreds of times, it did, although the same companies were often dead as a doornail a year or two later.
dinotrac

May 24, 2011
1:40 PM EDT
tc -

That was my problem. I wasn't under 25.
djohnston

May 24, 2011
2:46 PM EDT
[sarcasm] Poor, misguided Andy is all about having real standards. Who needs real standards? Just ask the ISO about OOXML. [/sarcasm]
tuxchick

May 24, 2011
2:48 PM EDT
Totally, dino, when you're over the hill you're out of business.
dinotrac

May 24, 2011
3:21 PM EDT
And now I'm not just over the hill, I'm in danger of becoming the hill.
BernardSwiss

May 24, 2011
7:31 PM EDT
Quoting: Wall Street, you see, is not a sophisticated network of brilliant strategists as some suppose, but an extremely highly paid fashion industry. Every year it "discovers" and sells a new fashion line and touts it as the must-have latest and greatest. One year it will be REITS, the next derivatives. It doesn't really matter what "it" is, so long as it's new and can give the machine something to sell.

Despite the rhetorical enthusiasm, I suspect that this remark is much closer to the mark, than most economists are comfortable with even acknowledging.

Mark Twain would have approved.

tuxchick

May 24, 2011
8:44 PM EDT
That's my other fave quote, Bernard :D
hkwint

May 25, 2011
6:47 AM EDT
There's millions to be earned by shorting those 'social network stocks' I propose. Seems you need 'puts' first, but I'm no stock guru.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!