And that is why.....

Story: One Year Later: Adobe Abandons 64-bit Linux AgainTotal Replies: 19
Author Content
helios

Jun 07, 2011
9:56 AM EDT
Even on 64 bit machines, I simply install the 32 bit and go on about my bid'ness. Adobe is going to continue this cycle of catch-up with 64 bit Linux in perpetuity. My "job" is to "sell" Linux to the masses. That ain't gonna happen when at any given time, the product can be crippled by one singular vendor.

Besides, I have yet to see any significant performance gains between 64 and 32 bit on a machine that will be used for academic study and browsing.
JaseP

Jun 07, 2011
10:02 AM EDT
I never run the 64 bit version, either... Just not enough of a performance advantage.
domwise

Jun 07, 2011
10:07 AM EDT
It would seem the author may have jumped the gun a little. It appears that the forum for 64 bit Flash has been moved and the author couldn't find it

See the comments at the bottom of the article for all relevant links.

caitlyn

Jun 07, 2011
11:35 AM EDT
I am the author and I did not jump the gun. From my response in the article comments:

--

You think I write things without checking? Sorry, no. The link from the main Adobe Flash Player "Square" page which used to work is now broken. It seems that they moved the forum but did not update the main web page.

I read through the forums and it is entirely user/community comment. There is still no indication that any new development is taking place. It also seems Windows users are complaining about this as "Square" has issues with IE9. See: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/847238 Users in the forum are complaining about the silence from Adobe and the lack of security updates as well: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/837467

So, while I thank you for the updated forum link it seems the article, sadly, is still accurate. I really, really wish you had proven me wrong. That would have been better for everybody.

caitlyn

Jun 07, 2011
12:01 PM EDT
@helios: If those masses include an artist who does real time 3D rendering or a gamer then the performance difference between a 32-bit and 64-bit can be huge. Ditto anyone who uses an application that is heavily computational. If that person doing academic studying one of the hard sciences or mathematics at the university level I can guarantee you they will see a significant negative impact in terms of performance.

As always, it depends on who is using the machine and how they are using it. Your solution is undoubtedly fine for many of the users you bring to Linux, but certainly not for everyone.
jdixon

Jun 07, 2011
12:14 PM EDT
>> It would seem the author may have jumped the gun a little.

> You think I write things without checking?

While I frequently disagree with Caitlyn on a number of issues, her journalistic standards are above reproach. She may be wrong on occasion, but she always does her homework. I can only wish anywhere near the majority of mainstream journalists had her standards.
tuxchick

Jun 07, 2011
12:27 PM EDT
Adobe is the poster child for proprietary enervation.
gus3

Jun 07, 2011
12:54 PM EDT
E-nerv-ation... as in, "the nerve of them, keeping it proprietary!"
DrDubious

Jun 07, 2011
12:55 PM EDT
If I remember correctly, the guy they hired to handle the Linux port spends most of his time complaining about how hard Linux is...
kingttx

Jun 07, 2011
1:34 PM EDT
Oh, FOSS html5 ubiquity can't come fast enough (vs Apple's and MS' version of html5).
caitlyn

Jun 07, 2011
1:41 PM EDT
Thanks, jdixon. I appreciate your vote of support.

For the record: I did update the article accordingly with the new link.
domwise

Jun 07, 2011
2:29 PM EDT
My apologies to Caitlyn. I only posted to this thread based on comments added by others (not myself) to the article, and this was before Caitlyn had had an opportunity to add her own comments, update the links etc. I did not not mean to cause offense but given the dramatic nature of the headline felt it reasonable to point out that a misunderstanding may have arisen because of the broken link. It would appear that it was I who jumped the gun.

Steven_Rosenber

Jun 07, 2011
3:00 PM EDT
I'm running 64-bit Debian, and my Flash player is, indeed, 10.2.
jdixon

Jun 07, 2011
4:23 PM EDT
> Thanks, jdixon. I appreciate your vote of support.

I don't think you'll find any of the regulars here who would disagree with what I said Caitlyn. It's just that since we've crossed swords often enough, I felt obliged to give credit where it's due. :)
tuxchick

Jun 07, 2011
4:39 PM EDT
Oh great, now there will be hugging. I am outa here.
dinotrac

Jun 07, 2011
4:43 PM EDT
@tc ---

Oh come back here, you cute, cuddly little linuxchick, you!

Hugs!!!!
jdixon

Jun 07, 2011
4:59 PM EDT
> ... now there will be hugging...

Eek. Ferret fur. Our cats would never forgive me. :)
gus3

Jun 07, 2011
5:05 PM EDT
Your cats won't forgive you, anyway. That's not their job.
tuxchick

Jun 07, 2011
5:44 PM EDT
Ick ick close fleshly proximity and shared air. It's unnatural.
helios

Jun 08, 2011
9:07 AM EDT
"Ewww, please" (pushes person away) "I'm not really a hugger" -

Mary Shannon, Witness Protection Marshall, In Plain Sight

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!