This was a wise move...

Story: Sabayon Linux 6.0 released -- without GNOME 3.0Total Replies: 4
Author Content
helios

Jun 28, 2011
10:54 PM EDT
Sabayon did well to stay with Gnome 2.32...I am downloading it now to play with it again...it was quite impressive the last time I looked at it.

There has been a ton of yak-yak about Gnome 3 and Unity....poor KDE 4 even got drug back into the fray. Hey, and I can't cast the first stone about the amount of said yak-yak...

Some of it was mine.

However, in another thread someone named chikauuno was invited to visit LWN.net and since I do write for them from time to time, I thought I'd mosey on over and see what was new(s)

Low and behold, another article critiquing Gnome 3. However, this wasn't your normal gripes and groans...there was some fairly indepth stuff within. We've all either heard of or experienced Gnome developers being a bit haughty and controlling. Gotta love the Interwebs...what goes on the Internet stays on the Internet. I hope this precious jewel of insight into the Gnome Dev/Gnome Project mindset stays for a long, long time.

Facilitating the unrestricted use of extensions and themes by end users seems contrary to the central tenets of the GNOME 3 design. We've fought long and hard to give GNOME 3 a consistent visual appearance, to make it synonymous with a single user experience and to ensure that that experience is of a consistently high quality. A general purpose extensions and themes distribution system seems to threaten much of that.

Full article below. Pay particular attention to text in red:

http://lwn.net/Articles/447457/#Comments

cr

Jun 29, 2011
12:16 AM EDT
Ye gods... From the sound of it, it's not just Miguel wanting to be Microsoft -- all the Gnome devs want to be Apple!
tuxchick

Jun 29, 2011
12:21 AM EDT
You might recall the recent article that quoted another Gnome dev:

Quoting:Because we’re not designing a desktop for people who like to choose their own terminal emulators.“

Which the article author cleverly expanded to

Quoting: This “We are not designing a desktop for people who …” has become a new meme. GNOME 3 is not designed for people

who want to minimize windows

who want to change the theme, icons or fonts

who want to configure power management actions

who want to use panel applets/extensions that can easily be added or removed

who want to select their native language on the login screen instead of having to re-login after they have changed it in the control center

who want to use their keyboard layout so they can actually log in

who want to shutdown their computers from within a GNOME session

Each item is linked to a source.

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/152869/index.html
cr

Jun 29, 2011
12:34 AM EDT
Maybe they need to change the desktop name to Gnoose, then. And you can report about it on the gnoosewire.
cr

Jun 29, 2011
12:38 AM EDT
@tc: Yeah, it's becoming clear that they've already chosen their possibly-terminal emulation.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!