#5 Distributions need to stop modifying desktops

Story: 10 ways the Linux community can fix the mess on the desktopTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
Ridcully

Jun 29, 2011
7:36 AM EDT
This really struck a responsive chord with me......I am currently using openSUSE 11.3 with KDE4.4.4 and I find it's delightful. However just for fun and to try it out, I loaded up openSUSE 11.4 and its version of KDE4 and was immediately hit by a new set of icons on the panel which nevertheless carried out exactly the same functions as those of the previous version. I looked at them and just said: "WHY ??????? I can see no rhyme nor reason for the changes." The previous icons looked great, they did what they were supposed to do; why, why, why has a new version have to change things for the sake of change, because that's the only reason I can come up with. And in point of fact, the newer icon versions in 11.4 look somewhat ugly in some cases, compared to the older ones in 11.3

Now whether this was done by SUSE, or by KDE4, I have no idea.....But the idea of keeping a simple standard seems a good one to me, especially for such simple things as the icon set on the panel. This isn't being "stick in the mud" as far as I can see. Just asking for consistency in the releases.
tracyanne

Jun 29, 2011
8:39 AM EDT
Quoting:This is a good idea with regard to GNOME 3, but it causes problems when machines are low-powered or do not have the graphics hardware to run GNOME 3.

My computer is anything but low powered, it's a 64 bit Quad core machine with 8 Gig of RAM and a top end nVidia Card. Gnome 3 runs very fast, it just doesn't allow me to do anything very useful, it gets in my way it slows me down, it doesn't do many of the things I can do with the GNOME 2 desktop. In fact it causes lots of problems, adn none of them associated with a slow low powered machine.

No what we need is a fork of GNOME 3 that does what GNOME 2 curently does
helios

Jun 29, 2011
9:12 AM EDT
No what we need is a fork of GNOME 3 that does what GNOME 2 curently does

Your wish will soon be granted. That is exactly what Mint is planning for it's next release....birdies on my window sill and all of that.

dinotrac

Jun 29, 2011
10:43 AM EDT
helios --

Thanky, pardner!

Not only does that make my day (three mint machines in my household), but the ability to do that might just raise my soured impression of GNOME developers.
skelband

Jun 29, 2011
12:24 PM EDT
Yayyyy!

That is all.
helios

Jun 29, 2011
12:47 PM EDT
that might just raise my soured impression of GNOME developers

Don't go to the trouble...The Mint Gurus will do this all in-house from my understanding. Also note, these are extremely preliminary discussions. The direction, velocity and wind shear that the future brings may alter any of these plans.

Note, I am in no way involved with the development or maintenance of Mint....again acknowledging presence of said little birdies...
dinotrac

Jun 29, 2011
12:50 PM EDT
@helios -

Ah. Well, I do have a pretty good feeling about the Mint developers...
tuxchick

Jun 29, 2011
12:59 PM EDT
Some distros have always modified the desktops-- exhibit A: Ubuntu. And Ku, Lu, Xu, and Edubuntu. Mandriva, Mepis, Mint, and so on. For the most part they do a nice job of adding their own artwork, package selection, and organization. I used to amuse myself comparing Kubuntu and vanilla KDE3 on Debian. There was a big difference, with Kubuntu being better-organized, nice font-smoothing (remember when we had to spent hours tweaking dommed fonts?) and hardware detection all polished and in place.

Rather than crabbing at distros for modifying their desktops, let's crab at Gnome for ignoring Freedesktop and going in their own weird directions. Give every desktop a common base, and then pile on the goodies on top of that.
jdixon

Jun 29, 2011
1:28 PM EDT
> Some distros have always modified the desktops...

Yep. And some haven't.
hkwint

Jun 30, 2011
5:02 PM EDT
[not so serious]Hey, I've got this splendid idea. Why not merge the KDE3/ Gnome2 forks?

netto result will be 'no fragmentation'.[ns]
ComputerBob

Jun 30, 2011
5:18 PM EDT
Quoting:Hey, I've got this splendid idea. Why not merge the KDE3/ Gnome2 forks?
You must be referring to the Grinity Project.
dinotrac

Jun 30, 2011
5:21 PM EDT
@CB -

I hear those GDOME32 libraries are a bear, though.
ComputerBob

Jun 30, 2011
5:24 PM EDT
@dino, Yeah, in fact, the Grinity Project's motto is "Grin and bear it."
jacog

Jul 01, 2011
9:46 AM EDT
That's better than "Bare it and grin!" I suppose.
helios

Jul 01, 2011
9:55 AM EDT
That's better than "Bare it and grin!" I suppose.

I don't know...there should be a reasonable expectation clause in any dating scenario if you've invested in dinner and a movie...

And "bare it" should pertain to honest feelings and emotions of course...wouldn't want to smudge an LXer thread with insinuated potty-talk, right?

;-)
dinotrac

Jul 01, 2011
10:51 AM EDT
>insinuated potty-talk

I'm insuated breathing hard already.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!