I loved the comment to this piece.

Story: FOSS misfits: Rusty Russell's takeTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
dinotrac

Jul 12, 2011
11:38 AM EDT
"It's the code that counts"

Yeah, right.

And the reason why Windows owns the desktop with Apple (not FOSS) the first alternative that comes to the minds of many?

It's not because of that precious code, bucko.
Fettoosh

Jul 12, 2011
1:01 PM EDT
Come on now Dino, would you give those nut cases a break!? Not every one can be a saint like you. :)

dinotrac

Jul 12, 2011
1:03 PM EDT
@Fettoosh --

But I remain optimistic that the world can see my light and come around.
Fettoosh

Jul 12, 2011
1:31 PM EDT
I don't know what to say, you must truly be a saint.

Wait a minute, may be ... never mind.

theBeez

Jul 13, 2011
8:48 AM EDT
Everything that is "open" tends to become a reflection of society as a whole. Look at the internet itself: without corporate control it quickly developed into a container of very diverse - and often dubious - content. That would never have happened in the Compuserve era! Adding restrictions consequently makes it less "open". Whether that is a good thing is a matter of opinion.

But the bottom line is that anyone capable to program can start a project and add a FOSS license to it. There is nothing that prevents you from doing so. Some scientists even claim that people with certain personality characteristics are even overly represented in the hacking community, e.g. Asperger syndrome.

Yes, it's annoying, yes, it may give FOSS a bad rep, but on the other hand it may be an unavoidable aspect of the FOSS concept itself.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!