Author Content
herzeleid

Jul 13, 2011
12:27 AM EDT
Rather a symbiotic relationship since bodhi is basically ubuntu + e17
ComputerBob

Jul 13, 2011
7:14 AM EDT
I heard that the Big Mac is going to start competing with McDonald's.
zentrader

Jul 13, 2011
1:15 PM EDT
Bodhi must really suck. Even though there is an abnormal amount of articles created about the distro, as well as plugs in other articles, er responses to many of the articles about desktops, they are still near the bottom. Build it and they will come. Build a better desktop and people will use it. Build the same old thing with different graphics and I'm staying with what I already have. Add in an excessive amount of press and people associate it with a bad movie that is propped up with marketing overload.
vainrveenr

Jul 13, 2011
1:45 PM EDT
Quoting:Even though there is an abnormal amount of articles created about the distro, as well as plugs in other articles, er responses to many of the articles about desktops, they are still near the bottom.
How are "they" still near the bottom??

Today's DistroWatch.com 7-day H.P.D.-metric found at http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=1 clearly ranks "their" Bodhi distro among the top-40 at #33.

That rank is, of course, well-below Ubuntu, CentOS, Mint, Fedora, Debian, Arch and most of the top big-time distros. Yet it remains more popular than a selection of better-known distros including Xubuntu, Zenwalk, Vector, and Peppermint.

And so what if the "abnormal amount of articles created about the distro..." indicates that the project's head maintainer is so avidly promoting his pet distro here and elsewhere ?? Any similar creator would do the same to increase his/her distro's usage, no?

BernardSwiss

Jul 13, 2011
4:42 PM EDT
I would seriously consider switching to Bodhi -- if the Bodhi project would only get serious about implementing package signing.

It's a beautiful distro, but I'm a form follows function kind of guy...

lcafiero

Jul 13, 2011
11:45 PM EDT
I've tried Bodhi Linux and I like it. I don't use it regularly, but it's on a laptop in the lab.
Jeff91

Jul 14, 2011
12:55 AM EDT
Saying Bodhi, or well any Ubuntu spin can't compete with Ubuntu is like saying Ubuntu can't compete with Debian... It can and it has.

Not saying my pet project is getting close to what Ubuntu has done any time soon. Just saying we could some day :)

~Jeff
helios

Jul 14, 2011
12:49 PM EDT
...abnormal amount of articles created about the distro...

Has anyone counted the number of Ubuntu articles in comparison to other distro articles? It's gotten to the point where if one single line of code is changed in Ubuntu, there is a flurry of articles about it, and frankly my dears, I don't give a d@mn. I don't mind reading articles about a distro if (1) I am interested in it, and (2) if it has any relevance or covers something different than past news.

And I would beg to differ...not beg actually but mention that Bodhi is not simply Ubuntu with E17. The creator(s) have added some nice tweaks to the system and contributed some clean changes in interface.

However, E17 is a radical departure from the more popular DE's or WM's. Hopefully, people will be curious enough to give it a look. I am running it on an ancient Fujitsu Lifebook with 384 megs of RAM and it works sufficiently.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!