Ugh.

Story: Why I'm smarter than an Open Source surrender monkeyTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
DrDubious

Jul 13, 2011
4:00 PM EDT
"Freedom is cool and all - heck, some of my best friends are free software. But only as long as it's convenient, it's mostly only poor people and zealots that really care."

There, now the next 30 people who are planning to write this kind of article can just link to this comment instead, saving them valuable time that they can use instead for their next trip to the Apple Store or Best Buy for the NEXT pile of new expensive hardware and software licenses that the writers always seem to be able to afford.

(This particular article isn't really that bad, so please excuse the rant - I've just gotten pretty tired of the stream of people who seem compelled to write "I'm just being PRAGMATIC, dangit!" articles lately.)
fewt

Jul 13, 2011
4:55 PM EDT
It isn't any different than the OMG someone said something bad about Linux articles, or the this is the year of the Linux desktop articles, or the OMG M$ $hill comments, and on and on and on.

Use whatever works, if it's free it's free and if it isn't it isn't. IMHO /microrant
tuxchick

Jul 13, 2011
5:06 PM EDT
What's amazing is people get paid to write this stuff.
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 13, 2011
11:52 PM EDT
And how!
BernardSwiss

Jul 13, 2011
11:58 PM EDT
{snicker}

I read that as "and howl".

but it makes sense either way :-)

techiem2

Jul 13, 2011
11:58 PM EDT
Yeah, you'd think by now most people would have realized and accepted that there are many types of FOSS users. Some use it for the freedom, some for the philosophy, some for the convenience, some for the cost, some for some other reason, some for a combination of reasons.

All the articles insulting whoever doesn't prescribe to your particular use reason(s) really don't do anyone good, and seem to me to be purely trying to cause strife in the community between the various types of users.

It's one thing to write an article explaining your point of view and reasons for use, it's another thing to attack those who don't agree with you.
kingttx

Jul 14, 2011
12:33 PM EDT
Can I toot my own horn? It's a prophetic peice: http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/125321

FLOSS still going through growing pains, but I hope the altruistic side doesn't get diluted by those that insist in nothing but pragmatism.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!