Great news!

Story: Expected Changes In GNOME Shell 3.2Total Replies: 11
Author Content
Grishnakh

Jul 14, 2011
5:55 PM EDT
According to the article, Gnome shell 3.2 will have an integrated on-screen keyboard! So you can all finally get rid of that clunky, obsolete keyboard that's taking up too much desk space, as you can just use the built-in on-screen keyboard with your mouse or touchscreen instead.

What a relief. I was wondering what was taking these desktop projects so long to make this a standard part of the desktop environment. No one needs a keyboard any more with the ability to use a mouse and an on-screen keyboard. This will help to streamline and simplify the user experience.
Fettoosh

Jul 14, 2011
8:24 PM EDT
Hmm. I don't see myself typing a long document without a physical keyboard, they better not drop its support.

Wait a minute, I don't use Gnome. Never mind.

helios

Jul 14, 2011
8:54 PM EDT
Methinks I might have caught the undeniable scent of sarcasm...

At least I hope so.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 14, 2011
10:24 PM EDT
Mini Sun God,

Sarcasm, perish the thought. Indeed it's wonder and soon we will be free of all that equipment litter and clutter. About three Gnomes out the UI will fit on a pair of electronic glasses, where we type on one the the virtual keyboards that resides in the cloud which unfortunately gets foggy at times. Nonetheless, it calls for careful grooming of our eye lashes, otherwise, from experience, there is a tendency to hit too many wrong keys. [I am a pre alpha tester.]

Power is extracted to a wide range of wave harvesting, e.g. em, acoustical and tides. So the power supply needs are minuscule and the battery storage vanishingly small. The chips are built into the frame and the few times overheating was encountered, removal and a few puffs cooled the hot spots. There is a rumor that MS is building a version of Windows to run on our invention. I think it's true, but I cannot be fully certain since my only evidence is seeing some blue frames that revert to their normal color when dropped on the floor and kicked around. Albeit indirect, inferential but consistent with a Windows OS. The rest is unsubstantiated speculation I will not repeat.

I have seen the future and I am wearing it now, though they are gawd awful ugly. I am told we will be getting some Apple designers soon to correct this oversight. Also the standard prefix of naming is Open[...], but having a very proprietary license to use and wear. But I am a practical person and only want the best, so I bend ...

As always,

YBT
helios

Jul 14, 2011
11:06 PM EDT
LOL...why guess there might be sarcasm by a scented hint when it can smack you in the face like a Mackrel.

cr

Jul 15, 2011
7:19 AM EDT
Ken, just because it's written in Sarc doesn't mean you have to assemble it. I for one have always been impressed with your Enthusi skills.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 15, 2011
12:05 PM EDT
Oh Great Mini Sun God,

Could you at least substitute a Red Snapper or a Pompano for that lowly Mackrel you intend to slap me with? Sounds just a bit too close to a Mac, and you are well aware for whom I shill.

YBT
tuxchick

Jul 15, 2011
12:11 PM EDT
Txt, you're aiming too low. I'm flinging some big mean crawdads at you. They will pinch your nostrils and ears, and you'll never find them all, and they will surprise you at vulnerable moments.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 15, 2011
1:36 PM EDT
tc,

I will not complain if I am unexpectedly pinched on either the right or left nostril.

Nor will I complain at a vicious pull at either ear lobe whether I see it coming or not.

However, please, please oh nasty crawdads whether with warning or not,

Just leave those low hanging fruit alone!

YBT
jdixon

Jul 15, 2011
11:14 PM EDT
> Just leave those low hanging fruit alone!

Txt: You have low hanging fruit? Well, there's your problem with Microsoft. They require that those be removed before they consider a shill worth paying.
cr

Jul 16, 2011
5:09 AM EDT
@jdixon: methinks that results in a shrill instead.
jdixon

Jul 16, 2011
1:00 PM EDT
> ...methinks that results in a shrill instead.

You haven't notice the tone of most of the establishment tech press over the years?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!