Not much apparently...

Story: Windows 8 – What to expectTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
mrider

Jul 15, 2011
5:13 PM EDT
I click on "Full Story", and I get the following text:

Quoting:Microsoft’s next big offering could be released as a beta in September 2011.

:)
gus3

Jul 15, 2011
5:23 PM EDT
I expect a bunch of stories proclaiming "they finally got it right!" followed by a harsh reality check.
Fettoosh

Jul 15, 2011
5:35 PM EDT
I believe the link for this article is: July 14, 2011

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/software/28970-windows-8-what-...

Or may be this one? November 25, 2009

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/software/10592-windows-8-what-...

phsolide

Jul 15, 2011
5:36 PM EDT
Q: How many harsh reality checks does it take for an IT "pundit" to realize that Version1 of any Microsoft product is rubbish?

A: Windows 95, Cairo, Chicago, WIndows NT, Longhorn, Vista, Windows 2000, Windows XP... at least nine. But the pundit really has to want to change.
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 15, 2011
5:45 PM EDT
yep, fixed the link, sorry about that.
Fettoosh

Jul 15, 2011
6:07 PM EDT
Why would anyone be interested in reading about software that is still in vaporware stage?

There are more interesting real products already available and have more than whatever Windows 8 going to offer.

techiem2

Jul 15, 2011
6:08 PM EDT
Lessee....

ARM Support: They're fighting for the phone/tablet markets.

Better Touch Interface: phone/tablet markets.

Overhauled Interface: phone/tablet markets.

128 bit support: um..yay? How many 128bit CPUs are out there? From what I hear, many people still prefer to run 32 bit Windows instead of 64 bit unless they have a machine with lots of RAM.

Better Cloud Integration: *yawn*

So yeah...they are trying to take over the phone and tablet markets...and the "cloud".

Sounds like an absolutely wonderful upgrade for desktop users!

Jeff91

Jul 15, 2011
6:22 PM EDT
@techiem2 Minus the 128bit that list sounds a lot like a feature list in the latest Ubuntu release ;)

~Jeff
mrider

Jul 15, 2011
6:26 PM EDT
Quoting:Why would anyone be interested in reading about software that is still in vaporware stage?

Speaking purely for myself - morbid curiosity.
rht

Jul 15, 2011
7:34 PM EDT
The most important aspect of this article is that it heralds the start of the next round of Linux horror stories (which precede any new Window$ release):

"I Switched to Linux and Lost all My Data"

"Ubuntu Cannot be Used Because it Has Different Coloured Icons"

"The Command Line is So Hard"

"Linux Causes Birth Defects in Children"

etc ad nauseam

Robt
skelband

Jul 15, 2011
8:22 PM EDT
@rht LOL!

You're so right.
helios

Jul 16, 2011
1:03 AM EDT
Why would anyone be interested in reading about software that is still in vaporware stage?

I for one, refuse to any longer underestimate Microsoft. No one thought it could get any worse than ME, but then came Vista.

Personally, I enjoy a good train wreck in slow motion.....

montezuma

Jul 16, 2011
9:13 AM EDT
I remember some hack 6 months ago hyping this as a big threat to OSX in terms of the push button user interface. I bet the reality is much more prosaic.

Microsoft fades to black.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!