Waiting with bated breath...

Story: Test Driving GNU Hurd, With Benchmarks Against LinuxTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
dinotrac

Jul 18, 2011
11:31 AM EDT
Oh wait, I'm not!

That Dundering Hurd ain't ever going to stampede all in one direction. If it's not there by now, it ain't gonna get there.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 18, 2011
12:11 PM EDT
dties,

Cynic. Give it another twenty years and the thundering herd will wipe out your raunch, with the hired help scattering in all directions.

Get back to me when the dust settles.

YBT
jdixon

Jul 18, 2011
12:41 PM EDT
> ...and the thundering herd...

Eh? What's Marshall (http://www.marshall.edu/athletics/athletics.asp) got to do with this?
dinotrac

Jul 18, 2011
12:53 PM EDT
Hey!

Marshall is every bit as relevant to modern computing as the Hurd. Maybe more. I'm sure they graduate some good programmers.
jdixon

Jul 18, 2011
1:06 PM EDT
Probably true, Dino. I'm a WVU graduate myself, so I don't follow Marshall all that much.

I often tell folks that the only place in WV it's not safe for me to travel is Huntington. :)
skelband

Jul 18, 2011
2:06 PM EDT
You kidding me? They're still trying to get the Hurd thing off the ground. I thought that dies a death about 10 years ago.
pmpatrick

Jul 18, 2011
2:17 PM EDT
Hurd is not dead. It's just pining for the fjords. Brilliant plumage the Norwegian Hurd.
techiem2

Jul 18, 2011
3:21 PM EDT
From all the comments I saw flying around ("Hooray! Gnu Debian/Hurd! No more Linux!" etc) after the release announcement (which I hadn't read), I assumed a fully usable kernel was being released in the next few months...not a barely usable kernel late next year....
dinotrac

Jul 18, 2011
3:57 PM EDT
>late next year....

So, about the same timeframe as an electric car that can haul your family, go 300 miles on a charge, and recharge in ten minutes. And has been for about as long, too.
techiem2

Jul 18, 2011
4:09 PM EDT
Hah. Yeah. Don't forget that it will be affordable to the average person as well (sorry, as much as I'm sure we would all love wonderfully efficient hybrid or electric cars, $30K+ is NOT affordable to most normal people - especially to people like me who don't drive all that much anyway so the vehicle cost would far outweigh the savings in gas).

Huh...kinda like how currently the pureness of Hurd is currently totally outweighed by its lack of hardware support....(not a perfect analogy, but close enough).
JaseP

Jul 19, 2011
9:22 AM EDT
I for one am happy to see Hurd development plod along,... It gives Richard Stallman his GPL v3 OS kernel, and is interesting from a technical point of view. Many advances in Linux or BSD can be applied to it, both in concept and direct code ports (to the extent licenses permit). As a micro-kernel architecture, it has great potential in embedded systems, particularly open source hardware such the Arduino and the Rep Rap, if they choose to adopt it (as well as others). So what, if it took 20 years of labor to get it to a barely useful/productive stage!?!?,... so does a human being.
dinotrac

Jul 19, 2011
9:38 AM EDT
@JaseP -

I have no problem with Hurd development or its pace.

I continue to be amused that it gets any notice, given that nothing has changed in 20 years -- it still boots, it's still not good for much of anything.
JaseP

Jul 19, 2011
11:24 AM EDT
I didn't say I was switching to it...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!