high school vs. university

Story: Losing work because I use LinuxTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
golem

Jul 19, 2011
11:23 PM EDT
I bet graduates from that high school are surprised to find everybody on university campus using a Mac notebook.
caitlyn

Jul 20, 2011
1:48 PM EDT
Everybody? I doubt that.
Grishnakh

Jul 20, 2011
3:54 PM EDT
From what I hear, most universities are all Windows, and in fact, most CS programs require you to use Windows and VS. Educational institutions in the USA are no friends of open-source, or of promoting open and accessible knowledge, but instead are working hard to turn themselves into training centers for large corporations.
gus3

Jul 20, 2011
11:32 PM EDT
Some unis are at least not hostile to FOSS; I recommended to Elizabeth Garbee (Bdale's daughter) that she raise the point as she evangelizes for FOSS to HS and college students.

Yes, most unis insist on keeping to themselves the rights to their students' work, but some make a point to leave the ownership to the students.
Fettoosh

Jul 21, 2011
9:27 AM EDT
My daughter went to Northern Mich (NMU) and normally students are supplied with laptops. One year she needed a computer and borrowed my laptop, of course it runs Linux, but she wasn't able to connect for some reason. But some IT support person who is familiar with Linux helped getting it set up and connected. She used it for a whole year and had no problems.

Linux is proliferating on campuses just like how servers did in the corporate world.

dinotrac

Jul 21, 2011
10:10 AM EDT
@grish --

Infrastructure at the unis and what the students pack are not necessarily the same thing. From the sampling I've seen at gatherings in the Chicagoland area (**disclaimer** heavily weighted towards Ruby on Rails types, who overwhelmingly prefer Macs), that "Apple" brand transfers cool from iPods and iPhones up to the Macs.

And -- not just unis. My daughter's high school will be issuing iPads this year.

Microsoft's got some real problems. They have lost their cools. No wonder they've been attacking android.
number6x

Jul 22, 2011
7:40 AM EDT
Cort Dougan, a grad student at my alma mater New Mexico Tech ported the Linux kernel to the Power PC architecture. I know that this is old news in the Linux world, but universities that are leaders in computer science, and science and technology in general, do support Linux quiet well.

If you are at a liberal arts college majoring in romantic literature or accounting the uptake may be at a much lower rate.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!