Feedback the key

Story: GNOME-Designer Jon McCann about the future of GNOME3Total Replies: 17
Author Content
montezuma

Aug 18, 2011
8:22 AM EDT
I did not find this interview very reassuring. It seems like the gnome developers have a vision for how their desktop will evolve and wish to remain focussed on that. The response to criticism here was to write it off as either "Internet noise" or to attribute it to malcontents who didn't like gnome 2. I assume they mean Linus here.

What this ignores is that feedback from end-users should be a very important part of how you proceed particularly with a desktop. The fact that there has been a fire-storm of criticism indicates that the mechanism gnome has for taking end-user concerns into account is not working.

Surely as part of the planning process for major new releases you need to seriously involve such people. My impression is that the planning is simply a bunch of highly technical developer club meetings and end-users are simply people who need convincing of a grand new vision.

Very disappointing.
Fettoosh

Aug 18, 2011
10:05 AM EDT
Interesting video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-moXUALZtw

TxtEdMacs

Aug 18, 2011
10:22 AM EDT
Quoting:Interesting video

Wow, when does the movie get a wide release? The previews were great.

YBT
JaseP

Aug 18, 2011
12:14 PM EDT
I'm flabbergasted,... This dude is totally out to lunch with the prevailing opinion about where Gnome 3's gone. And the interviewer just basically let him... Correct me if I'm wrong in reading that he was basically just telling disgruntled users to just go use something else... That's "brass ones," considering the number of ticked off people. I guess we know how much Gnome will come back to center...
djohnston

Aug 18, 2011
12:48 PM EDT
Did anyone else notice this blurb?

Quoting:McCann: My personal opinion: It kind of does. I don't know how many people share that view. But I really think from an end-user perspective and a third-party-developer perspective GNOME and KDE are different operating systems. As much as MeeGo is a different operating system.

This guy doesn't really believe KDE and Gnome are operating systems, does he? Well, maybe he does.

TxtEdMacs

Aug 18, 2011
2:16 PM EDT
Dear Son of John,

Quoting:This guy doesn't really believe KDE and Gnome are operating systems, does he? [...]

Well first we have to measure his dementia cross section profile, given sufficient depth the implausible and the impossible become highly likely to near certainty, respectively.

So fall in line and become a believer.

YBT
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 18, 2011
2:20 PM EDT
I read the interview and barely understood a word. Not that it was overly complicated. I think they were talking around topics and not addressing them directly.
JaseP

Aug 18, 2011
3:36 PM EDT
Yeah,... this was a "hurray for us, we shoved an unwanted update down your throat," article, complete with supporting doublespeak. By the way, I use Gnome 2.x,... a few tweaks, and a touch screen and it works just fine... thanks.
tracyanne

Aug 18, 2011
5:35 PM EDT
JasP, but it looks differnt from most other people's Gnome 2 desktop, so there can be no "Wow! What are you using" from someone looking over your shoulder. GNOME3 will look the same on everyone's computer (and be as limited and limiting), thus generating the "Wow!" factor.
Koriel

Aug 20, 2011
2:15 PM EDT
GNOME 3 is unique just like every other small device desktop.
dixiedancer

Aug 21, 2011
12:59 PM EDT
Curious... everyone was mad at Canonical for "abandoning Gnome after all they've done for Ubuntu," now they're mad at Gnome for "abandoning end-users' opinions."

Do you think Canonical will get credit for calling this one before just about anyone else and moving on? Or is it just that people love to bash Ubuntu no matter what they do, right or wrong?
dinotrac

Aug 21, 2011
3:30 PM EDT
Quoting:Do you think

Constantly, and extremely well.

Quoting:Canonical will get credit for calling this one

Not from people who are thinking constantly and well. If any credit is due to Canonical, it only the credit due for showing symptoms before they showed up in the GNOME developers.

Quoting:people love to bash Ubuntu

Nobody with a life loves to bash anybody.

helios

Aug 22, 2011
12:24 AM EDT
Or is it just that people love to bash Ubuntu no matter what they do, right or wrong?

I don't "bash" anyone much any more. But I do criticize.

Unity is a frigging mess. We've used it in the field now for a month and it's been a disaster.

No, I don't bash Ubuntu...I have too much respect for the brilliant community behind it. I will criticize Shuttleworth and the posers-that-be for slopping Unity on our plates much the same way Gnome did with 3.

We will use our HeliOS custom respin of 10.04 until it's EOL, then move on to whatever is simple, easy to use and not so locked down. If I am understanding the Mint folks, they plan to use Gnome 3 after building something pretty close to 2.32 as the environment.

Of course, Gnome3 and Unity might be usable by then.

And I might have a private Tongan island with a mansion too.
lcafiero

Aug 22, 2011
2:44 AM EDT
I can't tell if you're serious or joking, dixiedancer.

If by "everyone" you mean primarily GNOME developers and advocates, then yes, "everyone" was mad at Canonical. Those are the only people I know who were angered by Ubuntu going to Unity. Most others were indifferent, at best.

If by "get credit for calling this one" you mean that Canonical/Ubuntu laid an enormous desktop goose egg before GNOME had a chance to release theirs, then yes, they "called it" all right.

When Ubuntu/Canonical gets it right, they deserve praise. When they don't get it right, they deserve criticism. Unity clearly falls under the latter here.
tracyanne

Aug 22, 2011
4:10 AM EDT
@dixiedancer, just in case you are serious, here's why I elieve Canonical deserves critisism for Unity.

Here's Canonicals Unity Desktop on my Dual Monitor setup. The screen resolutions are 1920 by 1080 for the top monitor, and 1920 by 1200 for the bottom monitor.

Finding the screen shot tool was fun... not. For one thing it's called screenshot, and a search using the term "screen shot" locates nothing more than a message saying there are no files that fit that description. As I type this, I note that Firefox's spell checker is telling me that "screenshot" is incorrect spelling, which is probably why I never considered searching for that term as a means of locating a screen shot application.

Naturally I amended my spelling to do a search on "screenshot" and found both shutter and screenshot. Searching for the applications via the "menu System" takes even longer.

Note that there is inconveniently a top bar on both monitors, and that I have inadvertantly trapped the top of the Software Centre window under that top bar of the bottom monitor.

There is nothing I can do with the top bars they are there by hook or by crook, and I will have to grin and bare it, should I want to continue to use Unity.

Note also the side panel in the top monitor. It appears that Unity has decided for me that the top monitor shall be my primary monitor, whether I like it or not. My dual Monitor rig is a large laptop, which, as a consequence is moved from time to time, and disconnected from the external monitor. If I do, as is my normal practice, close the laptop lid and suspend the system before removing the external monitor, there by "fooling" the machine into acting as if the external monitor is still connected, when I un-suspend later on, I will not be able to access the "Menu System" or any of the items on the side panel, as, of course, the bottom monitor is my laptop monitor.

The side panel appears to inconsistently hide, for no apparent reason that I can see it is currently steadfastly refusing to hide itself.

It really is a pain, though, locating applications. you either scroll through an alphabetical list or you type some search phrase. This apparently is an innovation.
jdixon

Aug 22, 2011
8:18 AM EDT
> Do you think Canonical will get credit for calling this one before just about anyone else and moving on?

Credit for abandoning Gnome 3 and going to own way? Sure. Credit for a usable desktop? You'll have to ask me again when they have one.
JaseP

Aug 22, 2011
9:39 AM EDT
Quoting: JasP, but it looks differnt from most other people's Gnome 2 desktop, so there can be no "Wow! What are you using" from someone looking over your shoulder. GNOME3 will look the same on everyone's computer (and be as limited and limiting), thus generating the "Wow!" factor.

That seems reversed... I would expect that if I'm using the different thing,... People WOULD ask, "Wow, what are you using?," don't ya think???
Fettoosh

Aug 22, 2011
11:22 AM EDT
Quoting:That seems reversed...

I agree, it is the reverse.

I don't think icon based interfaces like Gome 3 and Unity are good for a full fledged desktop, but I believe it is the right interface for tablets and other handheld devices.

People like to carry with them what they like & need for occasional use. Tablets are ideal for such cases. That is why tablets are going to be popular, and probably more popular than desktops, especially when they are more powerful and can do almost all things desktop computers can.

For the "Oh, Wow" reaction, I don't think that is going to happen since people are too much familiar and acquainted with it already on cell phones.

As I said before, Canonical & Gnome should bring back the classic interface to the desktop and push forward with the icon interface for handheld devices.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!