Thanks for useful information

Story: Getting Connected to Illinois State University ISUNET from LinuxTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
darkduck

Aug 25, 2011
10:16 AM EDT
So many of are going to visit ISU and use your students' WiFi network! Thanks for letting us know another bit of useless information!
Jeff91

Aug 25, 2011
10:46 AM EDT
Oh DarkDuck,

It is as much a short editorial about the ignorance of large institutions as it is a tutorial. Posting it on Lxer will also register it on Google a bit higher - meaning future students going to the Uni using Linux will be able to find the article easier. Not to mention a good deal of other University across the US (and outside) use a similar system for logging onto wireless.

~Jeff
helios

Aug 25, 2011
3:49 PM EDT
Thanks for letting us know another bit of useless information!

There is no such thing as useless information even if it's only one person seeking it. It did not apply to you hence you deem it worthless. Others like myself do not, so assigning the whole worth value to something based on your need or lack of need is a bit narrow.

I went through the VERY same thing this last week when I took my daughter to Texas Tech to move into her dorm. Fortunately, Tech does provide information on connecting Linux wireless but does not officially support it. sounds like almost the exact same setup Jeff had to go through. And no, there is no excuse for any college not to have SOME publication or documentation on connecting any operating system wireless. You might want to take a look at this Jeff and see if it saves you some work.

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/ithelpcentral/solutions/wireless/in...
lcafiero

Aug 25, 2011
5:28 PM EDT
Not to absolve Texas Tech for shirking their responsibilities, but at least they have a LUG (good for them).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!