The 800-pound gorilla in the room

Story: Linux a threat to Microsoft? No way!Total Replies: 1
Author Content
lcafiero

Aug 26, 2011
6:59 PM EDT
. . . no, not Steve Ballmer, the other 800-pound gorilla in the room is that Microsoft used to file its annual 10-K report to the Security and Exchange Commission, stating (as they're required to) that one of the threats to their business model is Linux and Free/Open Source Software. In 2008, the Microsoft 10-K filing stated the following:

“Our business model has been based upon customers paying a fee to license software that we developed and distributed . . . . In recent years, certain 'open source' software business models have evolved into a growing challenge to our license-based software model. Open source commonly refers to software whose source code is subject to a license allowing it to be modified, combined with other software and redistributed, subject to restrictions set forth in the license . . . . A prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating system. Although we believe our products provide customers with significant advantages in security, productivity and total cost of ownership, the popularization of the open source software model continues to pose a significant challenge to our business model including continuing efforts by proponents of open source software to convince governments worldwide to mandate the use of open source software in their purchase and deployment of software products."

[As an aside, I wrote a blog about this in 2008 and I have gotten multiple hits on that item every day ever since. Every day.]

The SEC filing has to state things like this in order to paint a realistic picture and allows the corporation to cover it's corporate butt by saying, "See? We told you there were some risks."

Now, for this year, it seems the 10-K adds other factors that would hinder Microsoft. It removes the language that considers Linux a threat and replaces it with Apple and Google, according to Brian Proffitt's article on the same issue.

Link: http://www.itworld.com/mobile-wireless/192879/microsoft-disr...

Now is it me, or is this a frying-pan-into-the-fire situation? I mean, having to fight Linux is one thing -- but now having to face off with Apple (which is in far better financial straits than Microsoft) and Google (which is in far better financial straits than Apple AND Microsoft) makes me want to ask one question: Are the happy-dancing Windows fanbois so happy about Linux being "vanquished" (at least in SEC filings) really that stupid? Would you rather face two stronger adversaries than one smaller one?

Brian points out in his article as well that Google's ChromeOS is, um, Linux and . . . um, there something I'm forgetting

Oh yeah: Android, which is cleaning everyone's clock in the mobile realm, including Apple, and in an area where Microsoft has yet to leave the proverbial runway. Need I say more?

Thanks to all who reached this point and stayed awake.

[Edited to fix spelling]
tuxchick

Aug 26, 2011
7:36 PM EDT
All Microsoft has going for it is lockin and inertia. They don't have products anyone really cares about, except Xbox. Their official slogan ought to be "Less suckage this time! No really, measurably less!" It's a bit odd to leave Linux out of their SEC filing since it's in their interest to say "See, we are not a monopoly. No, we are teh victim!" Ballmer has been a disaster of a CEO. Seems they could also include themselves as a competitive menace along with Google and Apple.

Windows fanbois have their own special reality distortion fields.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!