Simpletons and the rest of us

Story: Desktop: “The report of my death was an exaggeration”Total Replies: 6
Author Content
lcafiero

Aug 31, 2011
7:13 PM EDT
The writer wrote:"I think those that predict that mobile will replace everything are simple computer users. And that’s fine. If an iPad truly does everything you need, then use it. But, your needs are not universal."

Amen to that. Good article, Brian.

[And, forgive me, I didn't use the word "simpleton" correctly. A "simpleton" as defined as a fool or an idiot, but what I meant to say was someone who lives simply, whether on line or in real life.]
Browser72

Aug 31, 2011
9:24 PM EDT
Thanks Icafiero. I thought of another way to sum up my position.

The advent of mobile computing means that there will be more opportunity in our lives for computing. Which means that most likely there will be more computing being done by people. But nothing more.
kingttx

Sep 01, 2011
2:48 PM EDT
I agree that email, browsing, looking at pictures (not performing major edits), watching videos, and the like, are all possible on tablets and phones; but those tasks are not necessarily comfortable. Much of the time it feels like they are shoe-horning tasks onto mobile devices and people are drinking the marketing Kool-Aid and asking for more.

I think those that prophesize the end of desktop computing would like to take each desktop task and say, "Oh yeah, there's an app for that!" There might be, but it doesn't answer the entire workflow necessary nor does it answer the *cumulative* needs the desktop provides for. You touched on those, like CAD, heavy video and audio editing; I'm sure the rebuttal would be those are niche markets but that'd be a disingenuous answer since the idea is still sound.

All that to say, +1 from me! :)
helios

Sep 01, 2011
3:27 PM EDT
I think those that prophesize the end of desktop computing would like to take each desktop task and say,

Look back in history to the dotcom bubble. People poured money into tech startups, just sure that money would magically fatten their portfolios and 401K's. This is roughly the same mentality. They just KNOW there is a way to use the pad to replace the desktop...

Maybe when voice or neural interface with the computer is perfected, maybe...but with current interface technology, it ain't gonna happen.
mrider

Sep 01, 2011
5:31 PM EDT
Turn the whole thing over and look at it from a different perspective: There probably are plenty of people that have purchased and continue to purchase full blown computers when all they really want or need are the abilities a tablet or large smart phone can give them. It's likely those people (the simple computer users the author talks about) will stop purchasing desktop or laptop computers. Why should they get more tool than they need?

So yes, I think that there will be less desktop and laptop computers sold than are sold now. Instead there will be a greater mix of computing devices, with desktops having a smaller market percentage.

The thing that annoys me about the pundits talking about the death of the desktop is that they think that everyone's workload is the same. There were plenty of people that purchased a desktop computer when they didn't really need one because that's all that was available. There are also plenty of people whose workload depend on the form factor, and no amount of doom predictions will change that.

It's like predicting the end of large trucks because someone recently invented the pickup truck.

I'd also like to ask the doomsayers one question: Did you write the article I'm reading on a cell phone or tablet? Yeah, didn't think so...

(P.S. I agree, good article!)
techiem2

Sep 01, 2011
7:27 PM EDT
Quoting:I'd also like to ask the doomsayers one question: Did you write the article I'm reading on a cell phone or tablet? Yeah, didn't think so...

LOL I was just thinking that. How about all these people who proclaim the desktop dead use ONLY a tablet and/or smart phone for a month and then tell us how "dead" traditional computing (desktop/laptop) is.
BernardSwiss

Sep 01, 2011
7:36 PM EDT
Quoting:How about all these people who proclaim the desktop dead use ONLY a tablet and/or smart phone for a month and then tell us how "dead" traditional computing (desktop/laptop) is.

++

But if they tried (and as you implied,in their hearts they undoubtedly know better) they'd have to find something else to write about...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!