The Distinction is in how they are Used

Story: Desktop computers changing, not dyingTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
Fettoosh

Sep 01, 2011
4:32 PM EDT
The way I see it and as I always said, especially at work, hardware resources don't distinguish between device classes. What determines the type of a machine is more of its physical characteristics, how it is used, and what it is used for.

Servers, Workstations, Desktops, and Laptops all are used in similar fashion and primarily use classical GUI.

Netbooks, Tablet and Phone are are in a category by themselves and primarily use touch screen Icon driven interface.

One more thing, Netbooks, Tablets, and Smart Phones, are supplemental to Desktops and for on the go usage. I don't think they will replace Desktop usage.

mrider

Sep 01, 2011
5:35 PM EDT
Like I said in another thread, I imagine for some people, they will replace the desktop. Those are the people that purchased a desktop because it was the only way to send email or look at e.g. Google Maps.

There are plenty more people that need the desktop's form factor. How can a cell phone replace a desktop for word processing, data entry, or the ten million other things people do on a daily basis?
Grishnakh

Sep 01, 2011
6:27 PM EDT
mrider wrote:There are plenty more people that need the desktop's form factor. How can a cell phone replace a desktop for word processing, data entry, or the ten million other things people do on a daily basis?

Simple: they won't do those other things. In other countries, people do need the desktop's form factor. But here in the USA, most people don't do anything with their computer other than Facebook and Twitter, so all they really need is a cellphone or tablet. Touchscreen keyboards are perfectly sufficient for writing text that's 140 characters or less, and that's the absolute maximum normal American can mentally manage to write these days before they lose their concentration. Sure, the older generation will still want computers with real keyboards and mice, but they're dying out, and the new generation has no need for those things as they spend their days sitting in Starbucks and surfing on Facebook.
DrGeoffrey

Sep 01, 2011
6:52 PM EDT
Quoting:Sure, the older generation will still want computers with real keyboards and mice, but they're dying out, and the new generation has no need for those things as they spend their days sitting in Starbucks and surfing on Facebook.

Listen, I heard this utopian talk about people not having to work back in the 60s.

Bull.

Fettoosh

Sep 01, 2011
8:04 PM EDT
Quoting:But here in the USA, most people don't do anything with their computer other than Facebook and Twitter

@Grishnakh,

[Edited spelling]

You tend to generalize way to much and you don't backup your claims by any solid evidence.

Quoting: I imagine for some people, they will replace the desktop

You are right, It is just your imagination.

People who have a desktop already at home, It is more sensible not to get rid or replace it with a tablet or smart phone. There are things that are much more comfortable doing on a desktop than a tablet or a phone. Eg. Spreadsheets, long text docs., editing video or audio. etc...

Now, if you are talking about a tablet like the Asus Slider , It might make sense. Because by the time you have extend the keyboard, add a wireless mouse, and added an external storage, you end up with a full fledged desktop. Also see Motorola's Altrix

Watch this Video

techiem2

Sep 01, 2011
8:20 PM EDT
I hadn't seen the Slider. Interesting. I have the Transformer and love it, but I definitely wouldn't use it solely in place of my desktop or even my laptop.

Different Devices, Different Purposes.
skelband

Sep 01, 2011
8:41 PM EDT
@Fettoosh: We had this conversation a little while ago on practically the same subject.

The only thing I'll say is what I said then.

Up until fairly recently, for most people, the only way to read email, look at videos, do messaging etc was to buy a PC. For many of these people, my wife and daughter included, that's *all* they use the PC for. There are a lot of people like this out there, and guess what? They want to do all these things on the train, in the car and at work or school, so they get a smartphone.

If they have a smartphone, use it regularly and be used to it, have all their contacts and favourite websites etc set up on there, what on earth would they need a PC for?

Some people need a PC but the advent of the smartphone is changing the game slightly. It is most certainly not the end of the desktop. However, for a lot of people that don't actually do much "computing" in their lives, they will use a smartphone and that will suffice.

This is not a new phenomenon. How many people out there now don't have a landline phone because they have a mobile phone instead? Yes, the landline phone has a place, but for a lot of people, this is no longer true.
mrider

Sep 01, 2011
9:09 PM EDT
@me: "I imagine for some people, they will replace the desktop"

@Fettoosh: "You are right, It is just your imagination."

The implication of your reply is that you think that there is nobody which will use a tablet or smart phone instead of a desktop form factor. Am I misreading that?

If that in fact is what you mean, then I think that's as short sighted as the statements that desktops are dead. There has to be a few people that do not need a desktop, but they purchased one simply because it was the only way to do tasks that can now be done with a tablet or smart phone. Just because you or I can't imagine using only a tablet or cell phone doesn't mean nobody can.

If that's not what you mean, then disregard my response.

(EDIT) Oops! Didn't see skelband's response - which is very similar to mine.
Fettoosh

Sep 01, 2011
9:27 PM EDT
@skelband,

I am not disagreeing with you. Read what I said carefully.
Quoting:Tablets, and Smart Phones, are supplemental to Desktops and for on the go usage. I don't think they will replace Desktop usage.

Now, for those who don't need the functions of a desktop and, a phone or a tablet is sufficient for what they need, of course they won't need to buy a PC. But those who have it already, why throw it away? May be they will use it less, but I don't think it will be totally replaced. For extended daily usage of computers, tablets are not as practical as desktops. I think they would be more tiresome. Than again, different people have different moods and needs.

Yes, we discussed this before, I actually defended Gnome 3, Unity and KDE Plasma Active interfaces mostly for Tablets and Handheld devices. I also indicated that handheld devices are supplemental to desktops not replacement for most people.

[Edited]

My next purchase is going to be either Atrix or Asus Slider. I personally like KDE Plasma Active best because, with such devices, I will be able to switch between full fledge DE at home and mobile unit on the go using Icon based interface on the fly without having to reboot or re-login with all applications available on both.

skelband

Sep 01, 2011
9:36 PM EDT
@Fettoosh: "I don't think they will replace Desktop usage."

I did read what you said carefully, and this statement is ambiguous as to whether or not you mean desktop usage for some individuals or the community at large. I think mrider was doubtful as to what you actually meant also.

For *some* people that I know, they have already replaced Desktop usage.

nikkels

Sep 01, 2011
9:47 PM EDT
The unthinkable happened.......I agree with Grishnakh

Simple: they won't do those other things. In other countries, people do need the desktop's form factor. But .......etc...........etc..............etc............................... and the new generation has no need for those things as they spend their days sitting in Starbucks and surfing on Facebook.

Well, at least in " this " country

Fettoosh

Sep 01, 2011
9:49 PM EDT
Quoting:I did read what you said carefully, and this statement is ambiguous as to whether or not you mean desktop usage for some individuals or the community at large.

I guess it is a little ambiguous, what I meant is Desktop usage=> Desktop functions, meaning the ways it is used for. Does it make sense? Excuse my English, it is not my first language.

Grishnakh

Sep 02, 2011
5:57 PM EDT
DrGeoffrey wrote: > Sure, the older generation will still want computers with real keyboards and mice, but they're dying out, and the new generation has no need for those things as they spend their days sitting in Starbucks and surfing on Facebook.

Listen, I heard this utopian talk about people not having to work back in the 60s. Bull.

Nope, it's true. There's already countries where almost no one works. Look at Somalia for instance; you think there's a lot of people getting any work done there? Young Americans these days know that they don't need to work for a living, as they can just sponge off of their parents and grandparents, or at most get a job as a barista. These people don't need desktop computers, because all they do is Facebook and Twitter, and watch TV shows about the Kardashians.

Now of course, in 30 years or so after their parents are gone and they can't sponge off them any more, the economy isn't going to look so great, but that's much too far ahead for our young people to think about.
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 02, 2011
6:07 PM EDT
oh ... and get off my lawn!!!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!