good news for a nice distro

Story: Dream Studio (64-bit) 11.04 Official ReleaseTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
tuxchick

Sep 16, 2011
12:40 PM EDT
This is a super-nice distro that improves on Ubuntu, which is already an excellent audio production and all-around multimedia platform. Nice work!
skelband

Sep 16, 2011
12:56 PM EDT
Looks like it is a nice competitor to Ubuntu Studio.

tc: Have you tried it and if so, what did you think?
tuxchick

Sep 16, 2011
1:00 PM EDT
I have tested it, skelband, and wrote up a review for Linux.com that will appear someday, when Linux.com comes back online. The short story is it's all full of nice tweaks so it runs better out of the box than Ubuntu studio. It takes less fiddling, so you can install it and get to work. Dick Macinnis is the art director for Ubuntu Studio and a contributor to various projects, and a musician, and a busy lad it seems.
macinnisrr

Sep 16, 2011
6:59 PM EDT
thanks tuxchick! Sorry to hear about the issues with Linux.com; can't wait to read the article!
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 18, 2011
10:54 AM EDT
New multimedia-oriented distros are always welcome. Tuxchick -- I know we should wait for the review to appear, but I'm curious -- does Dream Studio ship with Jack configured? What about evil codecs for MP3? And what does it have for video editing (and what are you using)?
tuxchick

Sep 18, 2011
11:13 AM EDT
Steven, Dream Studio does JACK the right way. It's ready to use with no tweaking and a low-latency kernel by default. Plus it is well-integrated with PulseAudio-- no no, don't cringe, Pulse is actually becoming decent-- which gives you all kinds of extra audio routing options that you don't have with JACK alone. You can always turn Pulse off. I don't know if it has MP3 support by default.

I think DS has every Linux video app there is on the DVD, like Cinelarra and Blender. DS uses the Ubuntu repos and some third-party repos, so all the usual Linux apps are an apt-get away. I'm no video guru, I play with OpenShot and Kino.
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 19, 2011
12:26 AM EDT
That's what I like -- letting the experts do the heavy lifting.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!