Good article

Story: Five topnotch replacements for GNOME 3 or Ubuntu UnityTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
Grishnakh

Sep 27, 2011
10:33 PM EDT
Aside from leaving out LXDE for some odd reason, this is good for pointing users to alternatives to the Unity and Gnome3 cr@p. Now we need some more distros that feature these alternative DEs prominently.
r_a_trip

Sep 28, 2011
4:10 AM EDT
My hope is that, somewhere along the line, a group of developers comes a long, who create a sane replacement for Gnome Shell. The rest of the Gnome technologies seem to be fine. It would be a pity if these were abandonned just because the official Shell is sub-par.

I still can't wrap my head around it. Why did the Gnome developers think that an interface which only seems good for doing single tasking was a great idea?
Jeff91

Sep 28, 2011
9:18 AM EDT
r_a_trip:

They must have noticed the millions of people happily using iOS every day.

~Jeff
fewt

Sep 28, 2011
9:33 AM EDT
Quoting:They must have noticed the millions of people happily using iOS every day.

The only problem with that is that a computer is not an appliance, nor should it be.

Single-tasking is OK on a 4" screen, not a computer with a keyboard and mouse.

Just sayin.
ComputerBob

Sep 28, 2011
9:34 AM EDT
Quoting:They must have noticed the millions of people happily using iOS every day.

Do you have any stats on how many of them are using it on PC desktops?
Jeff91

Sep 28, 2011
10:23 AM EDT
See I was fairly certain with Gnome's recent interface choices they where now targeting the mobile/tablet market. Their GUI doesn't appear to be optimized for a desktop operating system at all.

Plus I'm sure if Apple put iOS on a desktop like lemmings off a cliff many of the Apple faithful would use it and claim it was the best thing since sliced bread.

~Jeff
fewt

Sep 28, 2011
10:45 AM EDT
Quoting:See I was fairly certain with Gnome's recent interface choices they where now targeting the mobile/tablet market. Their GUI doesn't appear to be optimized for a desktop operating system at all.

Plus I'm sure if Apple put iOS on a desktop like lemmings off a cliff many of the Apple faithful would use it and claim it was the best thing since sliced bread.

grumble grumble grumble
r_a_trip

Sep 28, 2011
11:30 AM EDT
See I was fairly certain with Gnome's recent interface choices they where now targeting the mobile/tablet market.

when using Gnome 3 (but not too much, thank you), you certainly feel that the interface is made for limited interaction. One has to wonder though, why make a tablet interface, when your bread and butter (mostly) is Corporate Desktops?

I've heard rumours that Gnome Shell is a "Red Hat" project, but looking at Shell, it screams consumer touch and drool. Why would Red Hat want to foul up their chosen desktop environment? Doesn't make sense. Gnome Shell is an interface desperately in search of a tablet and that isn't Red Hat's turf.

< tin foil hat > Red Hat wants to switch to KDE, but is afraid of the Gnome userbase backlash. Ruining Gnome would facilitate an easy switch and gratitude of a group of users who otherwise would form a mob with pitch forks. < / tin foil hat >
djohnston

Sep 28, 2011
4:02 PM EDT
Quoting:The rest of the Gnome technologies seem to be fine.

Well, GDM3 isn't. It's slow as molasses and can be a RAM hog.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!