Author Content
steever

Sep 29, 2011
10:00 AM EDT
Only joking, Jeff!
nikkels

Sep 29, 2011
10:35 AM EDT
The installer doesn't work properly. I have an install on sda5 I have an install on sda6 I wanted to install Bodhi on sda7. At the part where you have to choose the partition to be installed to, you can NOT choose that partition to install the bootloader in..( sda7) Whatever you do, it installs in the MBR. This wouldn't be to bad, if you could boot sda5 and 6 from the bodhi menu, but that doesn't work either. After reinstalling the original bootloader ( pclos ) I could boot all 3 . This is the same problem as I had with version 1.00.

Other than that, I think it is d@mn nice and very probably stays on my 2 machines
Jeff91

Sep 29, 2011
10:54 AM EDT
nikkels please file bug reports with the Ubiquity team - we use their installer from upstream of ourselves. I'll admit it needs work, but it is the best alternative out there at the moment :-/

~Jeff
jdixon

Sep 29, 2011
11:06 AM EDT
> ...please file bug reports with the Ubiquity team - we use their installer from upstream of ourselves.

Jeff, it may be an upstream problem, but asking users to file bug reports to upstream projects is a non-starter. Nikkels may do so, but he's an experience user who understands how such things work. Most users will simply write off your distribution and go elsewhere if you do that. You really need to aggregate the bug reports from your users and file them upstream yourself.
Jeff91

Sep 29, 2011
11:47 AM EDT
jdixon Already done. Bugs get more attention with more users reporting them ;)

That being said - I'd be willing to bet most users that know what an MBR is and know they don't want to install to it are capable of filing a bug report.

~Jeff
jdixon

Sep 29, 2011
12:22 PM EDT
> jdixon Already done.

OK. That wasn't clear from your response. :)

> Bugs get more attention with more users reporting them ;)

True.

> I'd be willing to bet most users that know what an MBR is and know they don't want to install to it are capable of filing a bug report.

Also true.
fewt

Sep 29, 2011
3:03 PM EDT
BUGS? The lenix has no BUGS!
lcafiero

Sep 29, 2011
3:24 PM EDT
Good article, Jeff, and this is probably something you should have prominently displayed somewhere on the Bodhi site. I think one of Bodhi's strengths is its tweakability and I think you should play that up. No tax on the $0.02.
darkduck

Sep 29, 2011
5:01 PM EDT
@ steever I wouldn't be joking with this. If you installed Bodhi, just re-install proper OS. Ubuntu is not the saver... Maybe Debian or similar.
Jeff91

Sep 29, 2011
5:42 PM EDT
DarkDuck,

Glad to see your comments contain the same level of quality as the articles that you write.

~Jeff
ComputerBob

Sep 29, 2011
6:11 PM EDT
Glass houses, anyone?
Jeff91

Sep 29, 2011
6:28 PM EDT
ComputerBob my often grammar issues aside you would say the things I write are generally of poor quality?

~Jeff
ComputerBob

Sep 30, 2011
9:22 AM EDT
Quoting:ComputerBob my often grammar issues aside you would say the things I write are generally of poor quality?

Read your sentence out loud.

Ignoring the fact that it is missing an important comma, does it sound "high quality" to you?
Jeff91

Oct 01, 2011
12:19 AM EDT
But I aint's never learned no proper Engrish ComputerBob.

~Jeff
helios

Oct 01, 2011
9:55 AM EDT
But I aint's never learned no proper Engrish ComputerBob.

Yes you have...if you reside in some of the places in West Virginia I've stayed....
Jeff91

Oct 02, 2011
12:20 PM EDT
Helios: Don't feed the troll ;)

~Jeff
ComputerBob

Oct 02, 2011
2:06 PM EDT
Jeff, look back in this thread and see that you're the one who first criticized DarkDuck for his writing -- the same kind of writing that you publish all of the time. At least DarkDuck has the excuse of not being a native English speaker.

According to your own apparent standards, that makes *you* the troll here.
flufferbeer

Oct 02, 2011
2:21 PM EDT
+ 1 ComputerBob

@lcaferio,

>...I think one of Bodhi's strengths is its tweakability and I think you should play that up. No tax on the $0.02.

I guess that death and taxes are absolute CERTAINTIES, regardless of your not charging tax on YOUR OWN 2c ;)

As far as Bodhi's strengths, there is a VERY HIGH probability that you, jffe91 and others will submit YET ANOTHER AND YET ANOTHER Review/How2/News-Update/LordKnowsWhateverElse for Bodhi "lenix" within the next fewt days. Even though I can't say with absolute CERTAINTY _when_ this will happen, you can definitely EXPECT it to happen real soon, whether or not you let the BedhiBUGS bite /< LOL />!!!

MY OWN tax-free 2c (this time!) ;)
jdixon

Oct 02, 2011
8:30 PM EDT
> ...if you reside in some of the places in West Virginia I've stayed....

Well, that depends on whether you consider Elizabethan style English proper English or not.
Jeff91

Oct 02, 2011
8:32 PM EDT
ComputerBob,

I meant the content of DarkDuck's writing - not his English skills. He constantly writes "reviews" that lack substance and are really more "quick looks" and only look at the live CD more than anything else. In his comment he makes a crack about my work without providing any reason for it.

Flufferbeer,

Lxer.com is a place for Linux/FOSS news/articles. Things related to Linux distributions fall under this category. Whether they are about Bodhi, Ubuntu or any other distro. If you don't like a particular project then do the sensible thing and don't click on the stories about that project.

For all the nay-sayers about there about my work - if you think you can do a better job then do it yourself. People that take action make the world a better place. Those that sit there and whine about things they dislike do not.

~Jeff
lcafiero

Oct 03, 2011
6:05 AM EDT
flufferbeer --

It'd be nice if you spelled my name right. It only takes a copy-paste to make it so. Also, I've only done one review of Bodhi, and I probably won't do another one anytime soon (also, while I like Bodhi's tweakability, I'm not really too crazy about the Enlightenment desktop). Jeff91 has been getting enough press already so he doesn't need me to write about it, and that can't hurt.

But even if I did, you are well within your rights to ignore it.
fewt

Oct 03, 2011
9:09 AM EDT
@lcafiero - He'll probably fix his comment on lenix in a fewt days. l-o-l

I'm almost certain his post was intended to be funny (least, that's how I read it).
ComputerBob

Oct 03, 2011
9:09 AM EDT
Quoting:I meant the content of DarkDuck's writing - not his English skills.

Ignoring his broken English -- as you claim that you're doing -- what's wrong with "the level of quality" of DarkDuck's comment? The fact that he doesn't like your distro?

It looks like you need to get a life outside of promoting/defending Bodhi Linux. And some thicker skin.

Quoting:For all the nay-sayers about there about my work - if you think you can do a better job then do it yourself. People that take action make the world a better place. Those that sit there and whine about things they dislike do not.

Maybe you should consider becoming a KDE dev.
flufferbeer

Oct 03, 2011
10:53 AM EDT
@lcafiero,

> It'd be nice if you spelled my name right.

Thanks for your suggestion. I corrected this here ;)

> Also, I've only done one review of Bodhi, and I probably won't do another one anytime soon......

Oh, okay. Then there's a HIGH PROBABILITY someone ELSE will write something on this all too soon.

@ComputerBob,

> Ignoring his broken English -- as you claim that you're doing -- what's wrong with "the level of quality" of DarkDuck's comment? The fact that he doesn't like your distro?

+ 1 again! :)

I happen to think DarkDuck's suggestion to use maybe Debian or something similar is a good suggestion if/when the Bodhi shows its bugs. Bodhi is based on top of Ubuntu and Ubuntu of course is based on Debian at the top of the stream.. So it seems to me to make some good sense that if you learn a bit more about Debian and dip your toes in its waters, it can help a bit to better understand how things work _WHEN_ we let the BedhiBUGS bite(:hee:hee: /<LOL/>), and before the upstream project devs fix 'em when they get around to it.

But then again, of course, everyone is well within their rights to ignore DarkDuck's suggestion here, right? ;)

A tax-free 4c
fewt

Oct 03, 2011
11:39 AM EDT
Having been downstream from Ubuntu (Eeebuntu), I can honestly say that Debian makes more sense as a base than Ubuntu, but .. what Jeff is doing with Bodhi is really a rip and replace of some of buggiest components in Ubuntu so it may well be OK as-is.
lcafiero

Oct 03, 2011
2:28 PM EDT
fewt wrote:@lcafiero - He'll probably fix his comment on lenix in a fewt days. l-o-l

I'm almost certain his post was intended to be funny (least, that's how I read it).

Understood. But there's no conflict in purveying humor and spelling things right.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!