X2

Story: Announcing X2Total Replies: 17
Author Content
JohnPiers

Oct 03, 2011
11:17 AM EDT
Perhaps I did not look properly, but in this day and age, no 64bit??
RockComputing

Oct 03, 2011
4:55 PM EDT
I only use Arch Linux as my 64 bit system, and I uploaded an AUR package that any user can compile on either 32 or 64, I am currently working on Fedora 64 bit, a 64 bit deb will follow soon.

Thank you for your interest. If you let me know what 64 bit system you use I will try to build one especially for it.
Jeff91

Oct 03, 2011
6:36 PM EDT
Do you see the "source" link? That means it is ready for you to compile on whatever bitage you desire :)

~Jeff
vainrveenr

Oct 03, 2011
6:36 PM EDT
Quoting:Rock Computing have released their new text editor for UNIX like systems, with a next generation interface that alludes to simplicity and power rather than hundreds of features X2 is neither just a text editor or a fully fledged IDE but something in the middle

There are other text editor variants for UNIX like systems lying between "just a text editor" and "a fully fledged IDE", as the 'Part I About' section of the X2 1.0.4 User Guide describes it:
Quoting:Being a development company Rock Computing felt it knew what developers might want in a text editor. gEdit, leafpad, TextMate, mEdit Emacs and Vi were all studied to come up with the feature set that might be the most useful. Additionally many visual and UI ideas were taken from TextMate and other Apple based software, but it was determined power would not be sacrificed, the user must have all the control.
(from http://rockcomputing.dyndns-web.com/userguide.xhtml )

At the same time, there is yet ANOTHER more complete text editor variant for KDE users, and which seems to remain popular; the KDE Advanced Text Editor, a.k.a., Kate.

- Kate's homepage is http://kate-editor.org/

- Kate users have generally been positive about the feature-list update Dominik performed within the last two weeks

- Another fairly positive Kate review less than four months ago is from the LXer post '20 Text Editors for Linux Overview & Screenshots' found at http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/152608, and is as follows:
Quoting:This is by far my favorite KDE editor. Kate (KDE Advanced Text Editor) is a serious, full-featured programming environment which brings up things like: indentation, syntax highlighting, sessions, file selector, integrated terminal, word wrap, block-selection mode, and much, much more. A valuable piece of software for any KDE user.

Kate seems to work fine on 64-bit systems as well.

gus3

Oct 03, 2011
6:52 PM EDT
I'm disappointed to see NEdit get no mention. :(

http://www.nedit.org/

Yes, it's old, but that's just how great it already was, six years ago. Old != stale.
RockComputing

Oct 03, 2011
8:18 PM EDT
I don't like KATE, never have and given that KATE is designed for use with KDE I found it to offer too many features and tried to do too much. So I never studied it, you will notice that with the exception of the mac only TextMate, all editors have a gtk variant. I also never claimed it was the ONLY editor that was neither one or the other.

Please also bear in mind that this is only our 1.0 series and as such only offers the basics to begin with, I have planned a snippets manager for sometime in the future and a play on the gnome activities concept that I would like to try out, but they will arrive as and when.

I subscribe to the open source mantra release early and release often. I posted it here to get it out there and get some early feedback, if there is a particular feature in mind let me know, I shall see if I can do it.

If however you are happy with KATE then I am glad it works for you, but it didn't for us at Rock Computing, we just wanted something to increase our productivity and wrote our own tool to do so.

I also apologise for not mentioning nedit, but I had never heard of it until now, I shall have to check it out.
gus3

Oct 03, 2011
8:33 PM EDT
@RC, you may need to export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 in the shell to get it to run with LessTif.
Fettoosh

Oct 03, 2011
11:30 PM EDT
Quoting:if there is a particular feature in mind let me know, I shall see if I can do it.

I admit, I haven't heard of, seen, or used X2. I do all my Web development (Javascript, PHP, Perl, etc..) using Kate. For me to consider X2, you would need to incorporate all the features, utilities, & tools that Kate has.

RockComputing

Oct 04, 2011
4:51 AM EDT
@_Fettoosh: If you are happy enough with KATE that's fine, in the UNIX world text editors are precious things, this is why we wrote and released our own, because none felt right to us. We don't demand anyone try it, but it's there should someone wish to.

@JohnPiers: 64 bit rpm will be online within the hour.
hkwint

Oct 04, 2011
7:20 AM EDT
@RC: Thanks for sharing the news with us, sounds interesting.

Especially since Kate crashed so many times thereby loosing all my data, I may never want to use it again.

Also, great to see you started with documentation straight away! Maybe consider a "feature list" for the website? For a quick overview of what X2 can do? Or maybe I missed something and couldn't find it?
RockComputing

Oct 04, 2011
7:41 AM EDT
@ hkwint: Yeah I had to use KATE at university (they were big KDE guys) and it was just too much, in the end I compiled nano in my home directory and used that!

A feature list will be written once I finishing building the last 64 bit package, if you have tried it and found something you especially like, letting me know would help with that, since I wrote it, I like it all. I may need help focusing on what really stands out.
RockComputing

Oct 04, 2011
10:07 AM EDT
64 bit binary's for Fedora and Ubuntu/Debian are online now, if you have a different distro and know how to package it, I would be happy to accept help with that!
Fettoosh

Oct 04, 2011
10:31 AM EDT
Quoting: If you are happy enough with KATE that's fine,...

@RC,

Don't miss understand me, I am not knocking X2. I am just saying that some people would expect many many feature in an editor, and Kate has them.

If you could add as many features as Kate has and more user friendly and robust, then I am sure it will have many fans.

@hkwint,

I don't even remember when was the last time Kate crashed on me, may be it just a matter of old age. :-)

Like they say, hammer a strong steel weld long enough and it will break. You seem to have that touch. :-)

[Edited] See Backup & Restore at the end.

http://kate-editor.org/about-kate/

RockComputing

Oct 04, 2011
10:48 AM EDT
Then more features it is!

My next big thing will be snippets, I don't like having to use an external snippets manager outside of my program, so that will be the next thing to be added. On that note does anyone know if there is a way to create a MacOS like drawer component as part of but slightly outside a window or should I just use sliders instead?
cr

Oct 04, 2011
2:13 PM EDT
The appearance looks good.

Are the keybindings baked in, or are they editable? My current editor of choice, the jstar variant of joe, responds well to the WordStar keycodes. It's a console-mode program. It'd be nice to have a GUI-level editor handy as well.

FYI: http://www.stormbringer.org/pers/siaru/tlg/wsfile.txt lists the keycodes that go back to CP/M. http://www.stormbringer.org/pers/siaru/tlg/ws5file.txt lists the later DOS-based additions.
RockComputing

Oct 04, 2011
3:37 PM EDT
@_cr: I could implement customisable keybindings I think I would keep defaults to what they are right now and allow complete control of keybindings up to the user, so you could honestly set any keybinding/set you liked.

Though thinking about it, I had an idea for themes for syntax highlighting, I don't see why keybindings couldn't be distributed as a theme-like element. What do you think?
DiBosco

Oct 04, 2011
5:32 PM EDT
I really like kwrite. Never got on with kate. The only thing x2 seems to give me over kwrite is tabbed windows and misses a lot of kwrite's functionality.
cr

Oct 04, 2011
5:59 PM EDT
Sounds logical. Syntaxing and keybindings are both effectively FSM state-tables.

You might want to look at the codebase for 'joe' ("joe-editor" over on sourceforge); I haven't really looked into the code but I'm real impressed with the adaptability designed into it judging by the variations (emacs, pico, joe, jstar... about the only flavors missing are WordPerfect and vi) just from rcfiles. The syntax files are interesting too, though I wish they were better documented.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!