priorities

Story: Free Software Foundation Calls PDF DoneTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
Grishnakh

Oct 10, 2011
5:47 PM EDT
TFA wrote:Other high priority projects include Gnash (open-source Flash), Coreboot (a free BIOS), a free software replacement to Skype, free software video editing, a free Google Earth replacement, automatic transcription software, GDB reversible debugging, free software drivers for network routers, and others.

I'm surprised they even held on to this as a priority for so long. Poppler has been around for quite some time now, and the things it descended from even longer. The only thing that was really lacking was forms support. Other than that, FOSS PDF support has been excellent for 10 years or more.

It seems like maybe they should give up on Gnash. It sucks even worse than Adobe's plug-in, even though they've been working on it for ages, and now it looks like Flash is on the way out thanks to HTML5.

A FOSS program compatible with Skype seems to me to be the most important thing on this list, now that MS is in the process of devouring Skype. A lot of people, myself included, rely on Skype for work, and if it goes Windows-only, I'll have to set up a VM partition just for that one dumb application.

Others seem like they're already there, to some extent. Open-source video editing? Isn't that what KDEnlive, PiTiVi, etc. do? They could use a little work though. Free Google Earth replacement? Isn't that what KDE's Marble does? Coreboot could be very useful, however, now with MS trying to lock down everyone's BIOS so that it only boots Windows.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!