Funny

Story: The VirtualBox Kernel Driver Is Tainted CrapTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
Grishnakh

Oct 12, 2011
12:33 PM EDT
It's funny how this same article was posted on Slashdot yesterday and generated hundreds of comments, many calling the kernel devs "unprofessional", blasting them for not wanting to fix Oracle's bugs, blasting them for not conclusively proving that the problem was with Oracle's code, others saying it's not the kernel devs' responsibility, etc. And then on to discussion and arguing about the changing kernel ABI, closed vs. open-source drivers, etc.

But here there's not a single comment of any kind.
Koriel

Oct 12, 2011
4:16 PM EDT
I dont use VirtualBox primarily as the developers are on record that they couldnt care less about implementing proper parallel port support so until they do I use VMware which has outstanding support for parallel ports

This makes working on legacy software on windows that require dongles a la Sentinel a dawdle.

VirtualBox developers under Sun didnt give a crap and I suspect that goes the same for Oracle so I simply wont waste my time with it and I know that applies to lot of other folks as well, its an amateur product aimed at amateurs and until they change their attitude it will remain so.

lcafiero

Oct 12, 2011
7:17 PM EDT
Funny in what way, Grishnakh?
Grishnakh

Oct 12, 2011
7:38 PM EDT
@Icafiero: I'm not sure, I just find it interesting how totally different subjects will stir up comments on the different sites. Here, there's only one comment so far about the "Tainted Crap" article (I'm not counting yours or mine, only Koriel's since it's on-topic), while on Slashdot it generated tons. Instead, the articles I see with comments (as many here on lxer don't have any) at the moment are about Sabayon Linux, DNS servers, and creating a package repository, things that probably wouldn't even get posted on Slashdot. I also find it interesting that the recent Ubuntu and Unity articles haven't generated any comments; I guess people have gotten tired of bitching about it, and moved on to other distros or environments, as there was lots of controversy about this a few weeks ago here.

tracyanne

Oct 12, 2011
7:47 PM EDT
I don't have a problem with it.Maybe that's why I haven't complained.
tuxchick

Oct 12, 2011
8:24 PM EDT
We know the devs on the kernel team are first-rate and know what they're talking about. I'm confused why Oracle would have so many fans. Slashdot has slipped even more than I thought when Oracle has mass fanbois.
Koriel

Oct 12, 2011
11:48 PM EDT
Oracle, fanbois as Private Eye would say "Shome mishtake, shurely? Ed"

Speaking of Private Eye and completely OT but good for a giggle http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=pseud...
Grishnakh

Oct 13, 2011
12:32 PM EDT
@tuxchick: The people complaining on Slashdot weren't Oracle fans, they were anti-Linux people. Slashdot is full of MS fans and FOSS-haters.
mrider

Oct 13, 2011
3:06 PM EDT
Quoting:Slashdot is full of MS fans and FOSS-haters.

It's probably safe to say that some, if not most, of those are paid to post what they post.
Grishnakh

Oct 13, 2011
11:03 PM EDT
It's probably safe to say that some, if not most, of those are paid to post what they post.

It's hard to say. People can get worked up about the weirdest things. I agree, it's hard to see why anyone could get excited by MS products and spend their free time bashing FOSS and plugging Windows to everyone they know. But then again, judging from things I see not just on Slashdot but on other nontechnical forums (esp. political ones), it seems like there's a lot of people who absolutely worship rich people and big corporations.
BernardSwiss

Oct 14, 2011
12:16 AM EDT
The trouble is that they're also morally certain that they're the soul of clear-eyed, cool rationality and sober-minded independent thought.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!