Don't do it!

Story: Changing Desktop Appearance On Linux Mint 11 (Advanced)Total Replies: 4
Author Content
Grishnakh

Oct 13, 2011
2:03 PM EDT
You should not be using any themes at all with Gnome3, or changing its appearance significantly; you need to use it the way the Gnome developers have given it to you. The Gnome developers do not want you using themes. Customization is bad. From the horse's mouth:

"Everywhere we go people look over our shoulders and say "Hey that's cool, what's that?" and then we get a chance to talk about GNOME, a chance to talk about free software. And I think there is a lot of value to have that experience you show the world to be consistent. In GNOME2 we didn't do that particularly well because everyone's desktop was different. So when people are looking at it, they don't see something that is idiosyncratic, they see you as part of a larger movement. And I think that's worth considering when customize your desktops."

http://derstandard.at/1313024283546/Interview-GNOME-Designer...

If you don't agree, then I suggest you switch to a different desktop environment like KDE, LXDE, or XFCE, where the developers don't have any problems with you customizing it.
cabreh

Oct 14, 2011
4:32 AM EDT
Well, Linux Mint 11 is Gnome 2.x, not Gnome 3. So, you should be allowed to modify it.

tracyanne

Oct 14, 2011
4:34 AM EDT
I think Grishnakh did not actually read the article.
Grishnakh

Oct 14, 2011
12:49 PM EDT
Good point, but still misses the fact that the people who created Gnome2 are the same people who created Gnome3 (Jon McCann even says so in the linked article). Since they don't want you modifying Gnome3, I think it's safe to assume they don't want you modifying Gnome2 either; he even complains about this in the quote I copied above.
helios

Oct 15, 2011
10:59 AM EDT
Taking a look around Gnome-look.org, I am guessing the genie's out of the bottle on this, and I fully understand most statements here were made tongue in cheek, however, the Linux Community is a dynamic, smart and savvy bunch. They will make Gnome what they want it to be. They will write the scripts and modifications to make G3 useful despite the Gnome Dev's best efforts. The only recourse they have now to protect their wonderful creation is to close the source.

Given statements made by several people involved in the development process, I wouldn't doubt that it's been thought of wistfully.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!