This just in...

Story: Will your computer's "Secure Boot" turn out to be "Restricted Boot"?Total Replies: 6
Author Content
ComputerBob

Oct 17, 2011
10:38 PM EDT
FTA: "We will be monitoring developments in this area closely..."

So we can count on you to report any future developments a month after they happen?
JaseP

Oct 18, 2011
9:26 AM EDT
The FSF's website is experiencing technical problems.

Cannot read the article right now.
mrider

Oct 18, 2011
11:11 AM EDT
Quoting:Will your computer's "Secure Boot" turn out to be "Restricted Boot"?

No actually, it'll turn out to be "Return Goods Authorization" if sold to me.
JaseP

Oct 18, 2011
11:22 AM EDT
@mrider:

My strategy exactly. Just be sure to have a vender without a restocking fee or a sympathetic credit card vender to send disputes to.
Grishnakh

Oct 18, 2011
11:37 AM EDT
@mrider: Don't buy from Best Buy then, because they don't take returns without charging a fee. Why anyone shops there, I have no idea.
mrider

Oct 18, 2011
11:55 AM EDT
Quoting:@mrider: Don't buy from Best Buy then
No worries on that score! ;)

Way back when, I had a computer (Ambra maybe?), that had boot sector virus prevention. As I recall, one had to go into the BIOS and allow boot sector modification before one could e.g. update the operating system. I wouldn't find something like that objectionable at all. That was back in the day when the boot sector virus was the rage. I wouldn't have a problem if the modern computer has a switch or setting of some sort that disallows accidental or malicious modifications to an OS partition, while still allowing intentional changes.

On the other hand, if the computer disallows unauthorized changes period - then it's no longer a computer it's a calculator. And I don't need a calculator.

I wonder if this is the "net appliance" idea resurfacing in a different guise? Make some relatively low end desktop computer that's utterly locked down and sell it to those that can't be arsed to learn how to use a general purpose device. The FSF will howl no doubt, but I can see producing a "if you can't drive then take the bus" type of product for some users.

Seems to me though that there will always be a market for a true "general purpose" computer.

What does concern me is the poor security history of the organization pushing for this. You just know that within a month the computers will be modifiable by everybody on earth except the owner. Just think how wonderful it will be when one can get a drive-by infection which the computer will actively prevent being removed!
skelband

Oct 18, 2011
1:05 PM EDT
@mrider: " What does concern me is the poor security history of the organization pushing for this. You just know that within a month the computers will be modifiable by everybody on earth except the owner. Just think how wonderful it will be when one can get a drive-by infection which the computer will actively prevent being removed!"

Aint that the truth :D

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!