Two men - two visions

Story: Linux Mint developers make GNOME 3 edition plansTotal Replies: 28
Author Content
helios

Oct 17, 2011
11:26 PM EDT
This is what many of us were looking for and if I read this correctly, Mint is going to get it right......

As opposed to Canonical and those who apologize for them. Some people may be willing to just lay back and enjoy it, but by my estimates, they are the minority.

Look, this has been beaten to death and thank goodness for RMS shooting himself in the foot...had he not, we would not have gotten a break from the constant, and well-deserved beating of Unity and Gnome3.

And as an aside? Stallman's ramblings may have caused a stir in our solar system, but the vast universe barely heard a word about it. Outside of the free software community, nobody heard him, no body cared. It morphed into a true tempest in a teapot.

From either side, we raged for nothing.

Clem has his finger on the pulse of this community and it shows with the consistent increase in Mint users. HeliOS is going back to Mint now that we've gotten a decent remaster tool to work. I saw the Mint desktop on a dozen or more workstations as I moved through the cubes toward a conference room for a meeting with a coalition of non profits.

So what I had gleaned in private conversations looks to be true. Mint plans to incorporate the best of G2 into the G3 shell.

I can live with that. It just may take a while. For that, I'll be glad to wait.

At least I know sanity is circling back to pick us up.
tracyanne

Oct 18, 2011
12:09 AM EDT
So long as I can work with two Monitors, with one monitor stacked above the other, in the way I curretly am, and I can have a fixed number, of my choosing, of virtual desktops, and a bottom panel with a menu on it, then he has free rein to innovate as much as he likes.
JaseP

Oct 18, 2011
9:22 AM EDT
I just want to be able to have my menus in the window of the app I'm using,... Have close, minimize and maximize buttons,... be able to banish the notification bar to where I want it and have it auto-hide,... and run Cairo-dock with working Compiz effects...

... Then, I'll be happy...
gus3

Oct 18, 2011
9:39 AM EDT
As long as it makes my morning breakfast...
JaseP

Oct 18, 2011
10:17 AM EDT
Get a Z-wave controller, a robot, a soldering iron, and some Z-wave relays,...
montezuma

Oct 18, 2011
4:58 PM EDT
Clem sounds like he is making some good choices here. I hope he doesn't overload himself. There are a lot of versions of Mint out there and not a huge developer base.

In the longer term gnome 2 will go away and I have heard the gnome devs are trying to discontinue the classic version of gnome 3 as well. Given this Clem has some tough choices to make.

Personally I am keeping my machines at Ubuntu 11.04 until the Mint thing becomes clearer. If it looks viable I am switching away from Ubuntu after having used it continuously since the first version.
tracyanne

Oct 18, 2011
5:06 PM EDT
Did I mention that the bottom panel must auto hide whe not in use.
JaseP

Oct 18, 2011
5:19 PM EDT
You just stole that one from me, Tracyanne...
tracyanne

Oct 18, 2011
6:42 PM EDT
I didn't think you'd notice.
Grishnakh

Oct 18, 2011
6:53 PM EDT
Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that KDE does all these things you people are asking. Try out Kubuntu or Linux Mint KDE.
tracyanne

Oct 18, 2011
10:21 PM EDT
@Grishnakh, I have (4.6.x), I like but.... it seems too heavy. With KDE and GNOME 2 configured the way I like my desktop, KDE "feels" less responsive on the same hardware. I also noticed that on a machine where I can apply the xrandr hack (to get a higher resolution) that the screen seems less clear when running KDE than when using GNOME.

For my part, I'm prepared to wait, as Linux Mint 9, which I'm using (with heaps of PPAs, to get the latest and the greatest), is supported until 2013.
Grishnakh

Oct 18, 2011
11:46 PM EDT
@tracyanne: What xrandr hack is that? How do you get a higher resolution out of an LCD? Also, did you turn off things like nepomuk (under Desktop Search)? That cr@p will slow you down for sure.
tracyanne

Oct 19, 2011
3:16 AM EDT
@Grishnakh http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2011/09/howto-scale-your-di...

I'm using the following on a 10 inch netbook

xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1024x600 --scale 1.33x1.33 --panning 1361x798

No I didn't turn off Nepomuk.
Fettoosh

Oct 19, 2011
1:32 PM EDT
Quoting:No I didn't turn off Nepomuk.

Nepomuk will slow down your machine for sure, at least initially when it starts the indexing process. If you are not going to use desktop search, it is much better turning it off. Another thing you could turn off is "Desktop Effects", especially when you don't have a good graphics driver.

Also, try KDE 4.7.2 (the latest), I did notice better performance than 4.6.x after I upgraded

There are more performance enhancements coming out in 4.8 which are the result of extensive code optimization and as fine tuning code for Plasma Active.

tracyanne

Oct 19, 2011
5:45 PM EDT
Quoting:also, try KDE 4.7.2 (the latest), I did notice better performance than 4.6.x after I upgraded

There are more performance enhancements coming out in 4.8..........

so if I wait until 4.10 I should get a really smeg desktop with KDE4, just in time for me to upgrade the OS on my current machine.:)
BernardSwiss

Oct 19, 2011
6:39 PM EDT
What I want is some way to get a _lower_ resolution in the console/VT, without messing up my X display, as I have only one computer available right now.

(Some things I like to run on the VTs, but my current system the font is much too small, and runs too wide. I've been fiddling a bit, and found that I can use xset to change the size (x characters by y lines) but that just reduces the size of the display area, rather than enlarging the font. I'm finding setfont a little obscure, and lacking any mention of a reset/revert option)

gus3

Oct 19, 2011
6:44 PM EDT
If you "cat /proc/cmdline" and see a "vga=XXX" parameter in there, that's what you need to remove. Or, just add "vga=normal" via the LILO prompt.

That should fix your console display, but whether or not it leaves your X display alone is another matter.
BernardSwiss

Oct 19, 2011
6:56 PM EDT
"cat /proc/cmdline" has nary a mention of VGA, but merely lists the boot image, the root UUID and some grub boot options.

I think that once upon a time (a decade ago) when I was just starting to use Linux, I knew of some way to adjust console parameters on the fly (perhaps even for individual consoles) -- but I no longer recall, and I don't even know if the same method would still work.
Fettoosh

Oct 19, 2011
8:39 PM EDT
Quoting:so if I wait until 4.10 I should get a really smeg desktop with KDE4, just in time for me to upgrade the OS on my current machine.:)

I am not sure what "smeg" means, but I assume it is not a bad word. :)

I believe kde 4.10 probably won't see the light of day because KDE 5.0 will be in development in a year or so. KDE 5 will have big performance improvement due to the enhancements in both Qt 5 and KDE code.

Since KDE 4 now has all and more features than KDE 3.5.x, I believe the KDE team is spending more efforts on optimizing the code and improving performance, especially the code for Plasma Active, which will be back-ported to the desktop code.

I guess the answer would be, Good things come to those who wait. :-)

tracyanne

Oct 19, 2011
9:29 PM EDT
Quoting:I am not sure what "smeg" means, but I assume it is not a bad word.

If you've never seen "Red Dwarf" you'll never know.
Jeff91

Oct 20, 2011
8:51 AM EDT
Those who see a difference between KDE and Gnome on their hardware will be shocked how fast E17 or Fluxbox would run.

~Jeff
Fettoosh

Oct 20, 2011
9:45 AM EDT
Quoting:Those who see a difference between KDE and Gnome on their hardware will be shocked how fast E17 or Fluxbox would run.

Speed is just one attribute out of many a good desktop should have. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Would I sacrifice a bit of performance for many features and other advantages? Definitely.

Why? Because the response of any desktop these days is far quicker than anyone can type, move the mouse, or even think about the next move.

Most of the time, the computer is burning cycles waiting to be interrupted by our actions.

We are being spoiled by faster and faster computers. Stop and smell the roses once a while. Enjoy your desktop for a change. :-)

tuxchick

Oct 20, 2011
12:07 PM EDT
Fettoosh, so how are those pink bunnies?
mrider

Oct 20, 2011
12:51 PM EDT
Quoting:Why? Because the response of any desktop these days is far quicker than anyone can type, move the mouse, or even think about the next move.

You obviously have not used my at-work Windows computer. :)
Grishnakh

Oct 20, 2011
12:58 PM EDT
mrider wrote:You obviously have not used my at-work Windows computer. :)

A computer without a Microsoft operating system is like a puppy without bricks tied to its head.
jdixon

Oct 20, 2011
1:27 PM EDT
> You obviously have not used my at-work Windows computer.

He obviously uses far newer computers than I do. I usually get my wife's castoffs. With something like KDE4, I would usually be waiting on them, not them on me. XFCE, OTOH, runs without too much trouble.
Fettoosh

Oct 20, 2011
1:38 PM EDT
Quoting:Fettoosh, so how are those pink bunnies?

Doing pretty good, they are in our back yard most of the time. Why do you ask? lol

mrider

Oct 20, 2011
2:46 PM EDT
A computer is like a submarine. It works much better without the windows open.
gus3

Oct 20, 2011
3:51 PM EDT
Close the Windows and bar the Gates.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!