RealPlayer???

Story: The Perfect Desktop - Kubuntu 11.10Total Replies: 10
Author Content
Grishnakh

Oct 20, 2011
4:36 PM EDT
Can someone please explain why on earth you'd want to install RealPlayer? This isn't 1998 any more.
tracyanne

Oct 20, 2011
5:03 PM EDT
Falko does make some odd choices,never been able to figure them out.
gus3

Oct 20, 2011
5:25 PM EDT
The freedom to make an odd choice is the sine qua non of Free Software.
helios

Oct 20, 2011
5:26 PM EDT
It's 2011 - we've wiped out Polio, we have rovers traipsing about Mars with more on the way, we can communicate across tens of thousands of miles in space and on earth.....

and Realplayer still sucks.
DrGeoffrey

Oct 20, 2011
5:30 PM EDT
Quoting:and Realplayer still sucks.

And so does Windows.

But millions think their desktop/laptop must have it.
BernardSwiss

Oct 20, 2011
8:21 PM EDT
There's still some old stuff on the web that was done in RealPlayer format, and is not likely to be re-encoded, if only because of sound-quality issues.

For example I know of an archive of recorded shortwave broadcasts that were originally recorded either on magnetic tape or possibly directly into RealPlayer. No one is going to re-transfer from tape (and the tape is mostly lost or degraded), plus the original sound quality is often marginal enough that converting is an unattractive option, even if someone cares to do the work.

I wonder how accessible those recordings will be in another decade...

Grishnakh

Oct 20, 2011
8:28 PM EDT
Can't MPlayer play these things? Or is that one of the few codecs it doesn't support?
BernardSwiss

Oct 20, 2011
8:37 PM EDT
I believe your right. Good point, I guess we don't need RealPlayer as long as we can play RealAudio format.

Perhaps there's some other logical reason? (Licensing issues?)

tuxchick

Oct 20, 2011
10:39 PM EDT
Copy-and-paste articles?
tmx

Oct 21, 2011
2:21 AM EDT
Wonder if RealPlayer in linux have that browser plugin like in Windows that can download flash videos from any sources, not just youtube.

But otherwise I prefer MPlayer or VLC with hardware acceleration turned on.
RockComputing

Oct 21, 2011
7:12 AM EDT
Actually I find realplayer on android to be pretty cool, sucks on the desktop, but on the mobile it's beat out a bunch of other android media player apps I had.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!