Silly sort of contest.

Story: Lisp Coding Bounty (get a copy of Land of Lisp)Total Replies: 8
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Oct 23, 2011
11:24 PM EDT
You can have this book for free, once you demonstrate you need it less than anybody else who wants it.
tracyanne

Oct 24, 2011
4:19 AM EDT
I'd like the book, I haven't got the faintest idea how to code in LISP, so I think I qualify as someone who needs it.
pmpatrick

Oct 24, 2011
7:37 AM EDT
The book, "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" written in 1984 from MIT Press is the classic LISP textbook and is available for free download in both PDF and HTML formats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_and_Interpretation_of...

See the links at the bottom for download sites.
tracyanne

Oct 24, 2011
7:47 AM EDT
Got it thanks
gus3

Oct 24, 2011
7:51 AM EDT
Also, if you can track down the short paper "The Roots of Lisp" by Paul Graham, it makes a clever introduction to the language by building a Lisp interpreter...in Lisp. ;-)
tracyanne

Oct 24, 2011
5:00 PM EDT
I think I found that too thanks
BernardSwiss

Oct 24, 2011
7:51 PM EDT
Thanks the the recommendations.

@tracyanne In case you missed it (I can't tell) -- to win the Lisp book:

Quoting:

What you need to do is to supply the best eLisp code, in my opinion, in the comments below. The code should have the following characteristics:

1) It should work, probably as an .el file. Code that you just think might work or has parts like "Then you do something like this bla bla bla" is interesting and you are welcome to post it, but it won't win you the book. But do post it ... someone else might get it to work and they can win!

2) It should be useful for me, in its working form. Assume I'm running the latest easily installable (via synaptic) version of emacs (23 or so). I am a writer and a blogger. I do all my writing in emacs. Keeping track of links, doing stuff writers might want to do with a file, stuff like that, could be good. I'm always trying to find links to old posts that I've written. I write my posts in HTML using HTML mode. I do a lot of stuff in org mode. Stuff that helps in writing code is probably NOT good for me, as I almost never do that.

If I could do that, I wouldn't need the book!

tracyanne

Oct 24, 2011
8:21 PM EDT
That's why I posted to that site that I know nothing about LISP, and am therefore the perfect candidate.
BernardSwiss

Oct 24, 2011
10:48 PM EDT
Darn. I should have thought of that.

Good luck!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!